2.3 is WAAAAAY faster and more stable than 2.2

Guest sparc

I'm sure you like to see the positives pointed out. Good job IPS. You're putting the value back into this forum software.

Obviously experience for others may vary, but this is mine. Our server seems more responsive now too.

BTW, The performance details were posted in the company blog here for anyone that missed them

Yes, I'm really impressed with 2.3 so far, server load is way down on what it would normally be as 2.2 was a bit of a resource hog! Speed is pretty good as well, and should be even better when I get the pro skin customised and onto the site as it's much lighter by the looks of things.

Ya my site is running a lot faster the speed is more noticeable then going back and forth between php 4 and php 5 which does have some speed differences but not as noticeable as going between ip.board 2.2 to 2.3.

i would also love to say bravo ips team! even the company forum here seems to be ALOT faster!

i thought it was fast before.. (2.2.2 that is) but WOW! it seems even my 22.5mbsit download speed can be useful for web browsing! usually i dont see much improvement in speed from like... .5mbit to 22.5mbit.... but i can defiantly tell the difference with 2.3 :o

i must say.. i dont think a "large forum" like ips or other forum softwares main sites. have ever been as fast as this! i could guess that if your current server can handle xxxx ammount of hits per hour.. that with 2.3 it could handle prob 20%+ more.

/me :wub: ips

Biggest improvents are centralized loading of certain functions. There were some things where 5 or 6 different files would have to be loaded, and that's been cut to 1 file now.. That's also the reason why some folks with certain PHP configs would run into the "Memory size exhausted" on larger topics.. The way it was loading all the topics.

I'm a bit surprised that there's a noticable speed difference, but it stands to reason.. Especially on the more active forums.

Edit... Ok. Actually... I'm more surprised that anyone would bring it up.. The title of this was cut off when I was reading it.. I was expecting it to say waaaaay slower.

Of course.. maybe i'm just getting cynical.

When 2.2.x were released, I always waited until the third Saturday after the release date of each to install. I also checked the Bug Tracker five or six times a day.
I installed 2.3 yesterday and I am only checking the Bug Tracker once daily.

Great job.

just wondering why the class_attach was made then as it surely involves more file loads then pre 2.2. I do like it having its own class as its tidier but in the interest of speed not quite sure...

We pulled it out in 2.2, we weren't putting it back for 2.3.

We have to make a balance between resource usage and functionality. Sure, if we made one file that did everything there are less file loads, but at what cost? We'd have to duplicate code all over the place, load unnecessary classes, fix 10 files for each bug and so on.

Moving forward we have a lot of good ideas for organization/structure vs resource usage, but for now 2.3 consolidates some of the "heavy hitters".

Archived