IP.this, IP.that., Invision Power Board, IPB, IP.Board, yadda yadda

Guest Dave Baker

What the heck, while I'm out here on the plank... IPS should be changed. Invision is a

way-cool name

. I don't like TLAs (Three-Letter-Acronymns); they don't really convey any useful information. They sound like STDs. (No comment.) Assuming there isn't another firm that would balk due to trademark issues, I think you should rename the company (for all marketing and all practical purposes) "Invision." No "Power," no "Services." Those last two words don't add anything useful at all, except maybe in the formal corporate papers at the department of state or down at the bottom in some "copyright Invision Power Services, Inc." -- but I'd even change the official corporate name to Invision, Inc.

A cool name... but already taken as well, by a different company.

A cool name... but already taken as well, by a different company.

Gak. I Googled 'em and I see they're in the Internet biz, including "application development" ... certainly the potential for confusion. Now I see why it's good to have Power in the name of the company.

I don't like "Services" much; Invision Power and Invision Power, Inc. would seem to fill the bill nicely. I think that's what I'm seeing on the photo of the company's headquarters. It would fit better with the invisionpower.com domain name, too, and with the way the products now start as "IP."

But I guess you'd have to give up the IPS shortcut that is probably important by now in terms of recognition by existing customers.

• Management

But I guess you'd have to give up the IPS shortcut that is probably important by now in terms of recognition by existing customers.

Exactly. I wouldn't really read so much into the name. Most know us as "IPS" and most don't care whether we're "Invision Power Services" or otherwise. Do you care that IBM is International Business Machines? They are IBM. :)

As Matt indicated, there has been a cycle of evolution within the company and admittedly, there are still a few transitional wrinkles to iron out, which will be dealt with in short order.

Thank you for the feedback.

Archived