IP Bug Tracker?

Guest .Ryan

I think you should consider Open Sourcing modules such as this bug tracker module that don't warrant being a full supported commercial plugin because the market is not large enough to sustain it as a separate product. The Open Source project would need to have Brandon or someone from IPS head up the maintenance and further enhancement of the module initially, but I'm sure that some IPB modder would quickly volunteer to manage the Open Source project.

The drawback here is that IPB's module interface must be stable and complete enough to support the distribution of Open Source modules and not run afowl of your commercial license for IPB or the intended GPL license (or whatever open source license) used to distribute the module source.

Oh! One more thing... If the module is Open Sourced, then IPS should use the Open Source version here on this forum instead of maintaining a separate private version. This will ensure that the Open Source version is maintained properly as new versions of IPB are released.

It is in IPS's best interest to encourage a more vibrate and numerous available MODs (something that the main competing message board software is clearly doing better at) and seeding Open Source'd modules that are well crafted, would clearly help here.

This might be of interest to you: http://forums.invisionpower.com/blog/ips_n...?showentry=1939 :)

Thank you considering my suggestion, I sent you an e-mail Josh. I really am just thrilled to see this released since its a very nice piece of coding, and looking forward to using it myself and having other sites I know benefit from it.

I applaud IPS for their decision and think it really separates you guys from other forum (web) companies by doing things like this, I hope to see a great project benefit from this action.

Kudos.

• Management

is there a official forum or feedback topic where we can post some ideas or suggestions?

It will be released to current customers on IPSBeyond. Discussion, feedback, etc. will also be managed there as well. :)

Archived