IP Bug Tracker?

Guest .Ryan

Is it planned in the future that your Bug Tracker is going to be released to the public. I really like how its setup, and the features it has. Would it be added as another one of those $50.00 dollar components?

There is a free one out that mimics the IP one, but you guys added the status info while viewing and the colors, and it looks really nice. :thumbsup:

Bug tracker as a mod.

I know I use it, but he does not have the features IPS added to it. We only see the visual side, not the ACP portion. I like how it displays that information and the colors in the titles. Nice stuff.

I think it would be worth maybe $25.

Yes that seems more of a appropriate price for it. $30-35 I would pay too but really anything over that is overkill.

• 1 month later...

We have had no plans to date for releasing the bug tracker. Anything can change, but I wouldn't hold off on using the existing available modification because you are waiting for us to release ours. We have been using it for a few years, after all, and no plans to date have been made to release it. :)

I would find it very useful too, the modification (on Ize) is a good one, although i myself would also like the "original" code (mostly for the severity feature).

It would be a nice gesture from IPS to allow it's customers the chance to have this feature on their boards (even for a small fee) :)

A Official IPS Product is always better, and as they have the product already made it wouldn't be too difficult to release.

Might be easy enough to release, but then they'd have to support it too. That means a whole slew of new tickets about failed Bug Tracker installs.

Might be easy enough to release, but then they'd have to support it too. That means a whole slew of new tickets about failed Bug Tracker installs.

Good point, I guess I was thinking outside the box :P

I guess IPS need to decide whether they have the resources to support it.

• 2 weeks later...

A Official IPS Product is always better, and as they have the product already made it wouldn't be too difficult to release.

Of course it would be better, but it seems there will be no action for some time, and for those who wants to use something like Bug Tracker can use it :)

Sight of both of them are same. When IPS adds Bug Tracker on it's products list, then you can switch between them easily, with maybe a little modification. (as far as I know, both of them uses the same core) :)

• Management

I'm not really sure how many forum owners will purchase a bug tracker, it doesn't really make a huge amount of sense to spend time developing a product for such a niche market.

We could make a quick buck by cleaning up our own bug tracker and releasing it, but we'd rather do things properly by starting the project from scratch based on feedback from a focus group as well as look at existing trackers and see how we can improve on them.

That said, if there is enough interest then we'll consider it.

I'm not really sure how many forum owners will purchase a bug tracker, it doesn't really make a huge amount of sense to spend time developing a product for such a niche market.

We could make a quick buck by cleaning up our own bug tracker and releasing it, but we'd rather do things properly by starting the project from scratch based on feedback from a focus group as well as look at existing trackers and see how we can improve on them.

I think that might be a better idea ... if you do decide to do that, then you have my support. I'd certainly buy it. :)

I know I'd buy it, to use on very different forums. There's the obvious business orientated approach, but it could be used as a really good feedback-type system (I know on lots of forums people use multi-moderation for [fixed], [coming soon] etc in a feedback forum - why not move that to the tracker?)

not from what I have seen.
I actually like the free blog system rather then the pay one they have.
Mainly do to the skin problems I have with the pay one.
Any way I do like the bug tacker here specially how is shows the info about the bug above the post.

I think you should consider Open Sourcing modules such as this bug tracker module that don't warrant being a full supported commercial plugin because the market is not large enough to sustain it as a separate product. The Open Source project would need to have Brandon or someone from IPS head up the maintenance and further enhancement of the module initially, but I'm sure that some IPB modder would quickly volunteer to manage the Open Source project.

The drawback here is that IPB's module interface must be stable and complete enough to support the distribution of Open Source modules and not run afowl of your commercial license for IPB or the intended GPL license (or whatever open source license) used to distribute the module source.

Oh! One more thing... If the module is Open Sourced, then IPS should use the Open Source version here on this forum instead of maintaining a separate private version. This will ensure that the Open Source version is maintained properly as new versions of IPB are released.

It is in IPS's best interest to encourage a more vibrate and numerous available MODs (something that the main competing message board software is clearly doing better at) and seeding Open Source'd modules that are well crafted, would clearly help here.

Archived