Where is the REAL GDK! Not the IPB 2.x.x GDK....

Guest .Ryan

Ok whats up with this... so we ask for the real IPB 2.2 Final/RC GDK. When I download that file, all I see is the IPB 2.0 series GDK. I mean I want to improve my boards skin and get into custom skinning, but its not helping with a outdated GDK and one that has extra buttons that we don't need nor have been used in the 2.1.x series.

Like the Add Poll and stuff, no longer exists so why can't we receive the real IPB 2.2 GDK? Is it too much to ask for, or are you guys hiding your graphic companies work or something like a legal issue? I mean all you need to do is add another file called IPB 2.2 GDK, not change some lettering and fix the format of the download manager to make the issue go away.

I'm not radical or anything, I just want the "real" 2.2 GDK so if we are developing things it looks IPB 2.2 not IPB 2.0 Thank you staff. :thumbsup:

The thing is there is no "real" 2.2 GDK. The only one they've been using is the 2.0 one and adding new images as they need them.

Besides, it's incredibly difficult to make a gdk that has animated images. ;)

Give it time, one may come out, one may not.

If you really want to improve yourself, just make your own. :P

IPS is a company that sells board software. While I respect that they do have a lot of things to do, they still should focus on the little things, such as updating the GDK.

In a perfect world, they'd have time to do everything in perfect balance. As for me, I appreciate the way they prioritize their time. I can't imagine anyone saying, "well there's a grip of bugs in 2.2, but at least we have a complete GDK!" :lol:

Anyway, since 2.2 final is not yet in our hands, I don't know why this is even a topic. :unsure:

I'm with you here Stealth. When a new forum version comes out, I believe that a new GDK should come out as well. otherwise, we are trying to work with outdated stuff. It is just my opinion, of course, but one that I think should be paid attention to because there are probably a lot of other people who are thinking the same thing.

Edit:
drygnfyre:
And you are totally right and prove my point that there are other's out there that see the way Stealth and I do. Fine, release new board versions, but make sure you keep the bells n' whistles that you can get with it up to date.

Why do you want a GDK? If you're making custom skins you should be making custom buttons too, it's not hard, you need Photoshop for the GDK anyway so it's not as if you have to buy anything. These buttons are for the default skin, and suck anyway, why would you put them on a custom skin?

:whistle:

Why do you want a GDK? If you're making custom skins you should be making custom buttons too, it's not hard, you need Photoshop for the GDK anyway so it's not as if you have to buy anything. These buttons are for the default skin, and suck anyway, why would you put them on a custom skin?

a) In my opinion, the default icons do not suck.
b) How do you define "custom skin?" For me, I do a lot of color edits of the default skin, so I need the GDK in order to re-color the default icons.

I need the GDK in order to re-color the default icons.

Why? You have them in your image folder, just take them into Photoshop and change the colour using 'Hue and Saturation', once you've done one you can use the same settings on the others.

Why? You have them in your image folder, just take them into Photoshop and change the colour using 'Hue and Saturation', once you've done one you can use the same settings on the others.

But I can't do this for some of the new images in 2.2. I'm just making a point as to why I think there should be a 2.2 GDK. It just makes sense that if IPS plans to release a new version of their software, they should update the GDK, as well.

It is more desirable to take the original images and Save Optimized rather than editing flattened images. If you want to take a default button that has a white matting around it and use it for a dark skin, it's a pain using the flattened image compared to the original included with the GDK.

It is more desirable to take the original images and Save Optimized rather than editing flattened images. If you want to take a default button that has a white matting around it and use it for a dark skin, it's a pain using the flattened image compared to the original included with the GDK.

Exactly. :thumbsup: This is why I think IPS should consider updating the GDK for use with 2.2.

Anyone ever stop to think that we don't HAVE a GDK for 2.2?

An overwhelmingly large number of the new icons were actually purchased a long time ago - we didn't make them from scratch. Hence we have the .png's, but not any psd's for them. All we would be doing, updating the GDK is taking the PNG's and throwing them into the existing GDK....which, if you ask me, wouldn't be all too handy (the only good thing about it would be opening all the images at once) because then you can't mass change the hue/saturation like you can now. Instead of just changing all the blue for every button and logo, you'd be changing all the colors for all the images - i.e. the gender images, and those new icons in the profile portal.

I'm not a graphics guru - so I don't know what the plan is for the GDK at this point. But if it's updated, it won't be anything more than taking the new images and throwing them into one file instead of you opening separate files.

Archived