IPB 2.2 Documentation

Guest Charles

I've been suggesting something similar. I say we put the docs, developer docs, and a trial (which can be upgraded without reinstalling/etc.) on a CD and put it in stores like other software. I'd love to see IPB boxed up in Target. :D

(w00t) I agree, I'd love to see IPB boxed up and distributed in stores, with all the documentation and software; that would be awesome!!! :D IPS should really look into doing something like this, but they would have to do one for each license and maybe even for IP.Blog and IP.Gallery, too.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're working on a separate skinning guide actually.

That's awesome news, Charles!

(w00t) I agree, I'd love to see IPB boxed up and distributed in stores, with all the documentation and software; that would be awesome!!! :D IPS should really look into doing something like this, but they would have to do one for each license and maybe even for IP.Blog and IP.Gallery, too.

They could put all the software on a single disk, then you go online to activate the applicable product. Windows Vista will be distributed liked this, with all versions together so that if you decide one night at 2 AM that you want to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate, you already have the disk.

It'd be nice to sell a boxed version, but with web software there's additional hurdles - how do you explain to someone buying a box in a store that they need hosting, mysql, php etc. etc? It's not something you can just install on your PC, and that would confuse a large portion of the audience.

I think a more viable idea would be a complete package, meaning you actually get an IPS hosting account (that you activate out of the box), and a manual and so on in the box too. That way, you don't need to confuse people with the hosting requirements.

Just listing a few quirks as I go...

1. fixedPage 62: "This section allows you to unlocked locked user accounts" should be "This section allows you to unlock locked user accounts"
  2. fixed(All IP.Board nowPage 95: The documentation suddenly begins referring to the product as "IP.B" - for consistency, it should continue to refer to it as "IP.Board"
  3. fixedPage 120: Apparently, if you turn on the option labelled "Show Affiliates/Favoured Sites Box", a box appears on the portal entitled "Latest Discussions" - not sure this is accurate
  4. fixedPage 122: "Allow dynamic images" is incorrectly formatted as an option choice rather than a subheading
  5. fixedPage 125: "Display IPB Version on your site" option is described as handy to prevent attacks if you do not update IPB with security and bug fixes. I would highly recommend rewording this and adding a note or warning that it is not a substitute for updating with security and bug fixes
  6. Explicitly is correctPage 128: "Explicitly" is misspelled as "explicitely"
  7. fixedPage 129: "If 'yes', members using IE6, Mozilla, and Firefox" should probably include Opera.
  8. fixedPage 135: "The content of this page is controllable form" - "form" should be "from"
  9. fixed just for you (now its 2-1 instead of 2-0)Page 144: Being really picky here, but there are lots of exclamation marks in the IP.Gallery description, but none in IP.Blog, even for identical sentences.
  10. Was fine in my copyPage 153: "It is highly recommend you delete" should read "it is highly recommended you delete"
  11. Adobe did this(no extra page on mine)Page 154: Is a blank page. Intentional?

I must say Kyanar, you ever thought about being an editor...that was some small details you picked out. In regards to the PDF having a dynamic TOC, that was planned and will be completed soon. We just wanted to release the document as-is for you all :)

Please everyone, these kinds of mistakes are what we are looking for. It really helps. Thanks.

I must say Kyanar, you ever thought about being an editor...that was some small details you picked out. In regards to the PDF having a dynamic TOC, that was planned and will be completed soon. We just wanted to release the document as-is for you all :)

Please everyone, these kinds of mistakes are what we are looking for. It really helps. Thanks.

In my off time, I was a copy editor for a large gaming fansite network actually ;)

The Invision Ultimate Power Pack. (w00t)

The marketing model is already in place with online gaming software such as City of Heroes and City Of Villains.

People can and will buy the book if they know they get 30 days hosted and board on IPS included in the price. If they don't like it, then their hosted account will be terminated and deleted on day 31 of the trial after activation, otherwise they can pay $10 a month to continue to have the hosting.

Compare that deal, with the book priced at say $19.99 (i.e. $10 for the book and $10 for the first months hosting) with $149 initially and then $25 at 6 mos.

I do understand there are commercial reasons for the software being expensive, but think of the possibilities.... bundled hosting with a new laptop desktop

• 3 weeks later...

Invision Power Board is not a product that you can learn easily. For beginners, documentation is very good. I remember when I first used 2.0 of IPB... I didn't know where

anything

was at.. I remember being so confused and eventually learning where everything was/is.

I used Invsionfree before I came to IPS. So I kinda knew where everything was. I thogught confiquring the board was going to be easy until I opened the Admin CP. My jaw dropped.

Archived