Updating old and quite big forum to the latest version

Hi all, long time no see 🙂 We have an old forum, lasti time updated around 6 years ago, which we want to 'restart'. Now we do not have access to the admin panel so we cannot see the present version, but it is at least 6-7 years outdated version. 

Most of the things will change, but as forum is over 15 years old with thousands indexed pages, we would like to keep them still indexed. Also, even we haven't updated this forum in years, lot's of members has been there all these years. So we would like to save our members too.

What would you say, would it be wiser to just update whole forum 'normally', or start from clean table, and only take members and posts from the old one, if you know what I mean? 

If we do not get access to the old admin center, what can we do? Can we still take old posts and members from the server, and put them to the new clean forum?

We would be grateful if you would have some opinions.

1 minute ago, Kimmo said:

What would you say, would it be wiser to just update whole forum 'normally', or start from clean table, and only take members and posts from the old one, if you know what I mean? 

The best way imo is to do a whole upgrade rather than parts and bits. 

1 minute ago, Kimmo said:

If we do not get access to the old admin center, what can we do? Can we still take old posts and members from the server, and put them to the new clean forum?

When you say admin center, do you mean your forum's admin panel or your host's?

Yes, we'll do full update, but just wondering, if we do it via admin panel, or just install new version over the old one totally.

We do not have access to the old forum admin panel, as there has been 'double password' system and when we moved forum two years ago to the new server, it must have gone 'broken'. But this we are working on, I try to reach this person who made this system 11 years ago, maybe he is able to fix it and we can go to the admin panel again.

You will want to manually upgrade

• Check your server meets the current requirements using the requirement checker. You will need to update to php 8.1 at least -

• Upload a fresh set of files from your client area, overwriting any files which already exist. 

• Run the upgrader from /admin/upgrade and follow the process through

Of course this is done after making a full backup of both files and database.

You upload the new files to the server in the same location as the old ones and then run the upgrade script from /admin/upgrade/ in your browser.

In case the site is big, the upgrade script might ask you to run some manual MySQL queries from SSH.

For more info look at the Manual Upgrade section of this guide:

However, check first if your server has all the requirements to run the latest version:

Quick note: the check script will give you the green light also for PHP 8.2+, but only PHP 8.0 and 8.1 are supported. 😋

If you're unsure of how to proceed yourself or just want someone to help, it's possible to hire a 3rd party provider to do the upgrade for you: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers-directory/

I'm also on that list if you want to send me a PM.

EDIT: @Marc Stridgen beat me to it. 😛

Edited by teraßyte

Thank you all very much! As I personally know about these server things as much as a pig knows about deep sea diving, we'll let professionals to do it 😁 But as we started this project only today, we'll have some issues to resolve before we can go to this far.

Now the main question seems to be, that if, for some reason, we are not able to go to the old admin panel via browser, is it still possible to update our old forum?

32 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Now the main question seems to be, that if, for some reason, we are not able to go to the old admin panel via browser, is it still possible to update our old forum?

It should be possible, but without checking directly, it's hard to say:

1. For example, your host might have automatically upgraded to a newer PHP version (8.0+), and your current Invision Community version is not compatible with it if it's old enough. In this case, downgrading the PHP version on the server, or upgrading to the latest version will get the site working again.
  2. Instead, if the database is broken (missing tables/data or corrupt tables), you'd need a working backup to get it working again. In this case, an upgrade won't solve anything.

Are you getting a specific error when trying to login into the ACP? It could be anything without more info. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

we are not able to go to the old admin panel via browser, is it still possible to update our old forum?

You can reset the admin password very easily either from the frgot password link or through the database.