Custom CSS, fonts are not loading properly in Chrome

On some Chrome profiles, my custom fonts are not loading with CSS/themes but loading on just one chrome profile. Other browser apps are manifesting the same issue and not loading fonts.

This issue is happening frequently today (never happened before) and clearing cache/browsing data ain't fixing it.

Please advise...

Edited by WebCMS

I'm afraid, custom or third-party elements being loaded into the software is outside our scope of support. You would need to contact the author where you got the elements or work with a developer to resolve any issues.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

I'm afraid, custom or third-party elements being loaded into the software is outside our scope of support. You would need to contact the author where you got the elements or work with a developer to resolve any issues.

It is just a font file uploaded into Articles > Media and defined in CSS that worked fine for months but stopped working since yesterday. It also works on my another PHP app hosted elsewhere.

Until yesterday it was working fine on just one chrome profile but when I cleared its browsing data/cache, it stopped loading the font on that profile too (so it was just loading the font from the cache).

This is obviously an issue with CiC downloading files while rendering web pages as the font file exists in the media.

I see that you have uploaded TFF and WOFF2 files as SVGs. This conversion is not something which is done automatically and the URL is generating an encoding error. We cannot assist with uploading of correct files or conversion of those.

Keep in mind that these are the accepted file formats below to be uploaded to the Pages Media area. We also would not be able to provide support for any converting, uploading, downloading, or usage of these files.

js, css, txt, ico, gif, jpg, jpe, jpeg, png, mp4, 3gp, mov, ogg, ogv, mp3, mpg, mpeg, ico, flv, webm, wmv, avi, m4v, webp, m4a, wav, pdf, svg

Those are simple font files with renamed extensions for upload to work as woff types are not allowed. No conversion is involved or necessary if the same file name is used in font definition in the CSS and it was working and rendering fine all these days.

I just uploaded the font file with ico extension and it works (no worries).

ICO is listed twice in these file types:

js, css, txt, ico, gif, jpg, jpe, jpeg, png, mp4, 3gp, mov, ogg, ogv, mp3, mpg, mpeg, ico, flv, webm, wmv, avi, m4v, webp, m4a, wav, pdf, svg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some policy changed on your side yesterday as per the console errors -

1011.../:4393 Access to font at '...woff2.svg' from origin '...com' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.
258adbb6e4f3e83cd3b355f84e3fa002_custom.css.gz:1 

GET https://...-woff2.svg net::ERR_FAILED 200 (OK)

Edited by WebCMS

28 minutes ago, WebCMS said:

No conversion is involved

I'm afraid that is not true and why you are receiving the encoding error. A conversion from WOFF2 to SVG is needed if you are using an SVG extension.

13 minutes ago, Jim M said:

I'm afraid that is not true and why you are receiving the encoding error. A conversion from WOFF2 to SVG is needed if you are using an SVG extension.

It may be true but it was working with svg extension ever since it was uploaded in Jan (you can see the upload date) and the issue started just yesterday (it now works with ico extension). Since Jan, I cleared my browser cache many times and it still worked until yesterday using svg ext.

It may have something to do with this error which surfaced yesterday -

1011.../:4393 Access to font at '...woff2.svg' from origin '...com' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. 258adbb6e4f3e83cd3b355f84e3fa002_custom.css.gz:1

Anyways, I created a Feedback topic to allow uploading font files like woff2. We are not allowing users to upload any font files for security reasons (we are uploading them ourselves). We are using just one same licensed font file for decades with no security issues. For instance, Google fonts and a few other sources are safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, the ico extension for the font file stopped working (which was working since Feb 18). Before that, svg extension was working but stopped working until Feb 18. What is getting changed on the cloud for these to stop working?

Just uploaded with txt extension and it works for now. Until the upload file type filter is relaxed to allow woff2 files, please let us know what extension is safe to use that works without breaking until then.

49 minutes ago, WebCMS said:

Now, the ico extension for the font file stopped working (which was working since Feb 18). Before that, svg extension was working but stopped working until Feb 18. What is getting changed on the cloud for these to stop working?

Just uploaded with txt extension and it works for now. Until the upload file type filter is relaxed to allow woff2 files, please let us know what extension is safe to use that works without breaking until then.

Are you still simply adding these extensions to other formats? If so, we cannot guarantee this to work.

25 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Are you still simply adding these extensions to other formats? If so, we cannot guarantee this to work.

I renamed the font file extension to txt and uploaded it and used it and it works for now. It is just a font file with a renamed extension to "txt" just for the file upload to work.

I was wondering if there is an file extension we could use that works without breaking until the font file types are allowed to be uploaded.

What is getting changed on the cloud side that is breaking what is working with font files using different extensions that work initially and then stop working after a few weeks/months? svg and ico extensions worked for some time in the past and then stopped working.

You cannot change a file extension and have it work, I’m afraid. You are doing something which is not allowed so will indeed break and we cannot guarantee it working. 

9 hours ago, Jim M said:

You cannot change a file extension and have it work, I’m afraid. You are doing something which is not allowed so will indeed break and we cannot guarantee it working. 

We understand it is not expected to work. Just wondering why it is working for a few weeks/months and stop working and if there is there something changing on the cloud.

3 hours ago, WebCMS said:

We understand it is not expected to work. Just wondering why it is working for a few weeks/months and stop working and if there is there something changing on the cloud.

Unfortuanetly, this is an unknown, as it would not have been tested to either work or otherwise, either before or after