Upgrade issues from 4.6.12.1 to 4.7.14 with "ini_set" errors

Hi everyone, hope someone can help.

I currently have 4.6.12.1 running on a self hosted server with PHP 7.4. My hosting provider has eventually (after 18 months of asking) made available a server with PHP 8.x. However, during the migration process that the hoisting provider has performed they are getting "ini_set" errors and can't proceed.

So this leaves me unable to upgrade my software to 4.7.14 on the old server, as it does not support PHP 8.x, and unable to load the older version of the software on the new server as PHP 8.x does not support "ini_set". Ahrrrrrr!

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, David_UK said:

they are getting "ini_set" errors and can't proceed.

What are the precise errors? As mentioned above, ini_set is not Ipb related, but server related. It is used to display errors in php.

I've seen before that ini_set() fails and returns a false value when trying to set a setting that was set inside php.ini in some hosts configuration settings. Maybe this is the case here?

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
Sorry for the late reply - life and things get in the way!

My hosting provider have said they are getting the following errors, 
however to be honest I don't understand them, 
can anyone shed some light on this situation?

ERROR: Unable to set php_value 'session_save_handler'
[Jan 12 10:36:38] 2024-01-12 10:36:38 0 [Warning] InnoDB: 
Total InnoDB FTS size 9041601 for the table `domain_name`.
`ibf_core_search_index` exceeds the innodb_ft_cache_size 8000000

On 1/10/2024 at 2:49 PM, Randy Calvert said:

I would also check to make sure your new server meets the requirements. Grab the requirement checker script and run it on the new location to make sure a required module is not missing as well. 

The new server meets all the requiremnts for the upgrade, thanks.

Edited by David_UK

This would definitely be something server side and / or associated with other software on the server for a few reasons.

1. While we do use a custom session handler, we use the proper session_set_save_handler and related functions, rather than ini_set.
  2. The only usage of ini_set throughout the software is during an automatic Admin CP upgrade to disable errors, which is a fairly typical use case - and if it fails, the error is suppressed and ignored. This is the case for both 4.16.12.1 as well as the current version.

Based on the error itself, it looks like there may be a configuration issue somewhere in php.ini, or in a .htaccess file that is present on the server, attempting to set that directive (which is incorrect in itself - the directive is session.save_handler instead, though that could be as simple as the server interpreting the dot as an underscore in the error).