Lately I have been seeing quite a few of slow loading pages:

Could contain: Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

Almost 18 seconds, while everything else is absolutely blazing fast.

How to find out what is going on and what is happening?

Should I try doing some maintenance for the SQL database, could be from there? What can I do about it?

Disable all 3rd party first of all, including theme and any ads, then test again. If you still have the issue, then yes generally mysql will be the main cause. Starting slow query logging to pinpoint where exactly the issue is may be a good start. Consult with your hosting company on that

16 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Disable all 3rd party first of all, including theme and any ads, then test again.

I have zero 3rd party, zero ads. ZERO.

image.thumb.png.95f0f9ceb50f9cd2ed074b8ef928b066.png

works perfectly blazigly fast for 1h, then suddenly nothing works for another hour.

Only you can really answer the first question, as I dont know what it is you are doing at the time. In terms of proof, things are either slow or they arent really. If its slow then fast then slow then fast, the software of course hasnt changed in that time. Performance issues tend to be server related in almost all cases

Just so I don't leave the situation w/o a resolution.

This was in my apache2 server configuration file.

# prefork MPM
# StartServers: number of server processes to start
# MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxRequestWorkers: maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxConnectionsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves

<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
        StartServers             5
        MinSpareServers          5
        MaxSpareServers          10
        MaxRequestWorkers        150
        MaxConnectionsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

# vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

after I dramatically modified them to this:

# prefork MPM
# StartServers: number of server processes to start
# MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxRequestWorkers: maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxConnectionsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves

<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
        StartServers            20
        MinSpareServers         20
        MaxSpareServers         40
        MaxRequestWorkers       1500
        MaxConnectionsPerChild  1000
        ServerLimit             2000
</IfModule>

# vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

Server went back to blazingly fast. 

In the end found out bytedance/bytespider chinese bots were killing the server w/o pretty much no warning or errors. In the end I have found a MaxRequestWorkers too low error.

Then I banned from a firewall bytedance/bytespider bots. 

And now if I could only ban yandex bots I'd be a happy camper.

• 1 month later...

I host my server with Hetzner. They have a very basic firewall and picked up from logs the bytedance ip addresses (which were not so many) and blocked them in the hetzner firewall. I am not so happy with this solution but as a temporary step it works for now. I need to really install a good firewall with ip geocoding and everything.

1 minute ago, dutchsnowden said:

I host my server with Hetzner. They have a very basic firewall and picked up from logs the bytedance ip addresses (which were not so many) and blocked them in the hetzner firewall. I am not so happy with this solution but as a temporary step it works for now. I need to really install a good firewall with ip geocoding and everything.

ok bud.. i seem to have too many ip's and read they piggy back many networks including amazon aws. so its tricky. having 15 forums you can imagine they are everywhere, so need a proper solution.

I have banned off ahref bot as well.. they are really bad for me.

Just researching CleanTalk app which plugs in to the communties, noticed they have a firewall solution so may look in to that

Yes, they are a plague. For the moment my forum works ok, but I am too interested in finding a proper solution to this disease. So please come back and post if you find anything.

To be honest, my server was swamped until I did this:

Now even they are hitting me pretty hard seems that the hardware is handling it well, so I am waiting a better solution to completely ban the chinese plague out of my server.

i gave fiddled witht he prefork a couple of times carefully.. may give it another go as our server is pretty big should be able to handle quite a bit. 

Cleantalk we have banned out certain countreis from registering, that worked a treat and now get very little RU and CN if any. But need to ban them out from the server completely. 

Will have a go this afternoon and see how it goes.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:45 PM, dutchsnowden said:

......I want also to ban everything CN and RU on my server.

If you go to Members->Content Moderation->Spam Prevention->Geolocation settings, you can add countries in there that you wish to disallow.

Hey !
I encountered  the same problem with AJAX Loading, and I looked everywhere from what It could be, nothing on the server side, nothing in settings. But by updating the version the problem fixed itself.

Try upgrading your version and check again.

Edited by Alexandru

7 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If you go to Members->Content Moderation->Spam Prevention->Geolocation settings, you can add countries in there that you wish to disallow.

Nah, @Marc Stridgen this is for registration. Chinese bots never register, they just flood the server with request and do not respect robots.txt or any rules. Download all photos, everything.

They don't care to register, they just flood it as guests.

3 minutes ago, dutchsnowden said:

Nah, @Marc Stridgen this is for registration. Chinese bots never register, they just flood the server with request and do not respect robots.txt or any rules. Download all photos, everything.

They don't care to register, they just flood it as guests.

You'd want to block this at the server or network-level  then if you're seeing this from a particular set of bots.