Trying upgrade of invision 3 to 4 on subdomain before applying upgrade on the live site?

Go to solution Solved by Richard Arch,

Hello,

I m trying to upgrade from 3.x to 4.x latest version. But before doing same i want to do this on subdomain.site.com.

I setup all the files, database on subdomain, but home page is not showing anything. Can some suggest any solution for this? Am i on right path?

Edited by Jyoti Rani

9 minutes ago, Richard Arch said:

Have you updated your conf_global.php to reflect the change? - Yes, i changed the domain name and sql database configuration. below variables has been changed.

$INFO['board_url']

$INFO['sql_driver']           
$INFO['sql_host']          
$INFO['sql_database']   
$INFO['sql_user']          
$INFO['sql_pass']    

Do, i need to change anything else also ?

A different approach...

1 hour ago, Jyoti Rani said:

I setup all the files, database on subdomain, but home page is not showing anything. Can some suggest any solution for this?

In the above, are you referring to getting the IPB v3.x installation working before proceeding to do an upgrade? If so, you're going to need to ensure that you have a version of PHP that is supported by v3.x - which will mean PHP 5.x, as PHP 7.0 and above won't work.

5 minutes ago, Richard Arch said:

Remember that v3.x requires PHP v7.

Incorrect - PHP 5.6 or lower, depending on the version of 3.x. I may 'work' but it wasn't officially supported and was never required.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

22 minutes ago, Richard Arch said:

I assume you are trying to get your v3.x working on the subdomain first, then work through the steps to upgrade to v4.x.  Remember that v3.x requires PHP v7.  Later during your upgrade you will need to switch to PHP v8.

Yes, you are assuming right. I m trying to get the v3.x first. Because if i run the file 

admin/upgrade/index.php which is in v3.x can not be run in php version 8.

Can you suggest me any other way to do the upgrade on the server. 

I am doing this in correct way?

I can run upgrade on live server. But the issue with me is this, i am not able to setup the live site on my local system. Due to which if i ran the upgrade on live server all the data and their existing relation of v3.x cant be recovered back. Any document or any other help would be appreciated a lot from you guys.

Your doing it the way I would, as in upgrading a copy of my live site first to document all the steps and test it.  To get you your test v3.x to work on your subdomain you will need to switch PHP back to v5.6 as Nathan advised.

The other way which may work, as you are on PHP v8, is to overwrite the files on your subdomain with your v4.x files and run the upgrade manually.  Be sure to have a backup of both files and database first so that you can revert should something go wrong.

18 hours ago, Richard Arch said:

Your doing it the way I would, as in upgrading a copy of my live site first to document all the steps and test it.  To get you your test v3.x to work on your subdomain you will need to switch PHP back to v5.6 as Nathan advised.

The other way which may work, as you are on PHP v8, is to overwrite the files on your subdomain with your v4.x files and run the upgrade manually.  Be sure to have a backup of both files and database first so that you can revert should something go wrong.

Thanks for your reply Richard. But its not working in any of the manner.

On Server using subdomain, i have done the things as suggested by you. But on server its not working either.

Latest version replacement on local with new version files is not going well. Because the folder structure has been changed in version 4.x.

Is there any other way to do so? Please suggest.

2 hours ago, Richard Arch said:

Did you get your v3.x working on the subdomain using php 5?

Do you have any 3rd party applications / themes installed?  As the chances are they may not be compatible with v4 or php 8, these will all need to be disabled before the upgrade.

Did you get your v3.x working on the subdomain using php 5? - No. This is the main concern. If it had worked for me, then i can apply the upgrade process.

Do you have any 3rd party applications / themes installed?  As the chances are they may not be compatible with v4 or php 8, these will all need to be disabled before the upgrade. - No, we have 2 hooks which are created manually only.

I'd keep working on getting your v3.x to work on the subdomain.  When you ran the Requirements Checker 4.x (from above) it should fail as you need to be using php5 to get v3 running.  I would double check this.

You may also need to disable those hooks for the v4 upgrade to work.  You could temporary disable them in your live site and take another copy to practice with.

21 minutes ago, Richard Arch said:

I'd keep working on getting your v3.x to work on the subdomain.  When you ran the Requirements Checker 4.x (from above) it should fail as you need to be using php5 to get v3 running.  I would double check this.

You may also need to disable those hooks for the v4 upgrade to work.  You could temporary disable them in your live site and take another copy to practice with.

Richard, Thanks for the inputs. I rechecked php version on the server. Its php 5.6.40. 

sub domain url. I also cross checked it.

You may also need to disable those hooks for the v4 upgrade to work.  You could temporary disable them in your live site and take another copy to practice with. - Will try with it again as you advised.

Another query here is - If i change the existing license key in the system will it affect the system?

12 minutes ago, Jyoti Rani said:

Another query here is - If i change the existing license key in the system will it affect the system?

No, don't change the live license key.  You are allowed one test installation which will be your subdomain.  Once you get it working, if there is a license violation it will warn you and you can correct it.

More info here.

Edited by Richard Arch

20 hours ago, Richard Arch said:

No, don't change the live license key.  You are allowed one test installation which will be your subdomain.  Once you get it working, if there is a license violation it will warn you and you can correct it.

More info here.

I m able to run my beta version now. But the issue is its version3.4 and i have to upgrade to 4.7.12 and i can see the option to upgrade on this version. Can u please guide?

• Solution

Its worth reading this guide first, you need to carryout the "Manual Upgrade".  Also have a read of the "Unsupported Legacy upgrades to Invision Community" section fyi.

Take a backup of your test environment both files and database in case you need to repeat the steps.

Run the compatibility checker, it should complain about your php version.

Disable all 3rd party applications, plugins, themes.

Switch php to version 8 or 8.1, run the compatibility checker again. Everything should ok now.

Overwrite all the files with the new package as described in the manual install.

You may need to clear cache from your ACP Support area afterwards.

4 hours ago, Richard Arch said:

Its worth reading this guide first, you need to carryout the "Manual Upgrade".  Also have a read of the "Unsupported Legacy upgrades to Invision Community" section fyi.

Take a backup of your test environment both files and database in case you need to repeat the steps.

Run the compatibility checker, it should complain about your php version.

Disable all 3rd party applications, plugins, themes.

Switch php to version 8 or 8.1, run the compatibility checker again. Everything should ok now.

Overwrite all the files with the new package as described in the manual install.

You may need to clear cache from your ACP Support area afterwards.

Thanks for your replies Richard.

Can you please guide me through the manual upgrade process? 

Does invision provide any tool for this? 

Any help regarding previous table structure and the new table structure understanding document will be of great help to me.

There's nothing I can add to what is described in the guide on how to do it.  Do you have a specific question relating to it?

Manual Upgrade

Simply login to the client area and download a full package of software, much like you would if doing a fresh install, and unzip the archive to your computer. It will create a folder named "ips_xxxxx" where xxxxx is a random string of characters. Then use an FTP client such as Filezilla and upload the contents of the ips_xxxxx folder (not the folder itself) to your forum main directory, overwriting when prompted and making sure all files transfer without error.

You will then go to your site and /admin/upgrade such as example.com/admin/upgrade and login with your AdminCP credentials. The upgrade system will scan you install to confirm that all files are up to date before proceeding. If it reports any are wrong then be sure you uploaded all files properly. 

24 minutes ago, Jyoti Rani said:

Does invision provide any tool for this? 

Any help regarding previous table structure and the new table structure understanding document will be of great help to me.

No, the manual method is the way to go.

Not sure what you are asking about the tables but the upgrade process will sort the tables out.

4 hours ago, Jyoti Rani said:

What precisely would be a great help to you? Any changes to the dataabse tables structure will be taken care of automatically by the upgrader, as mentioned above. 

14 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We wouldnt provide a tool for uploading items to your server for a manual upgrade process

Thanks for your reply. Marc.

12 hours ago, Miss_B said:

What precisely would be a great help to you? Any changes to the dataabse tables structure will be taken care of automatically by the upgrader, as mentioned above. 

I understand your point, I gone through the document and done the steps locally as suggested there.

16 hours ago, Richard Arch said:

There's nothing I can add to what is described in the guide on how to do it.  Do you have a specific question relating to it?

No, the manual method is the way to go.

Not sure what you are asking about the tables but the upgrade process will sort the tables out.

Thanks Richard. Your guidance helped a  lot.