What determines the way the Theme menu opens?

Go to solution Solved by Ehren,

It opens above for me, and there's also a rule to make it open above in the default template:

<a href='#elNavTheme_menu' id='elNavTheme' data-ipsMenu data-ipsMenu-above>{lang='skin'} <i class='fa fa-caret-down'></i></a>

As you can see it uses the attribute data-ipsMenu-above. Are you missing that attribute, or maybe you have it set to below instead?

Thanks TB, the attributes are there alright. I just compared and its fine on a desktop, the screenshots I took were on an iPad

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

It opens above for me also. What browser are you using?

Thanks, it was Safari on the latest ipadOS.

On my iPad, it is fine with Firefox app too. Weird.

• Solution

I believe this happens when the dropdown menu is taller than your viewport (browser window).

I imagine this is done intentionally because browsers can't scroll "above the viewport", they can only scroll below the viewport. Imagine if your theme menu was only 900px from the top of your screen (which could happen on certain pages), but the dropdown menu was 1200px in height. If it opened upwards, the top of the menu wouldn't be clickable since it would go above your screen.

Not really a bug, but this will only happen in situations when your theme menu is really tall, so this is technically working as intended 🙂