Please reconsider killing off Support in Commerce

The Old Man

With the Marketplace EOL and providers switching to or relying on their IPS sites, it's really not the time to also be losing the built-in Support Ticket system. Providers will need it more now than before and all the third-party offerings are not free after trials end, require additional sharing of client data and require integration. The integrated system with Commerce is so convenient and with the planned Commerce improvements even more so.

Please can you consider a stay of execution or perhaps even simplify it to make it less timely for IPS to maintain?

Thank you.

This is not something that will be returning within the platform, and is not actually part of the v5 product. As mentioned in many areas, we will be concentrating more on the community side of things. There are many support products out there that people can choose to use if required. Even simplifying it, as you put it, would be time in developing a part of the product we no longer wish to continue with as a company

6 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

That's a shame but I had to ask! 🙂Yes there are lots of them, but it's not straightforward. We don't have time to replace what we're losing. I read that you will be providing better integration with some of those systems, any news on that front?

You never know, one of these providers may decide to do a support system themselves

Any news regarding this would be posted in our blogs at the appropriate time 🙂

On 9/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

You never know, one of these providers may decide to do a support system themselves

Any news regarding this would be posted in our blogs at the appropriate time 🙂

Why bother paying your developers when your customers will do it for you for free, right?

Same attitude that EA takes with "LiVe SupPorT" aka using paying customers to test their unfinished games for them with no cost.

That does not sound like what he’s saying at all. He simply is saying that it is not going to be in IPB5. 

I don’t personally like the choice to remove support tickets either, but I don’t get snarky about it. 

In the past, developers could not re-create features that were removed from IPB. That rule was recently changed. So if someone thinks they can figure out how to make a support system, they’re welcome to try and offer it themselves and support it.

IPS does not want to deal with things like e-mail piping and legacy technologies that don’t really get used anymore in modern applications.  That means if someone else feels IPS is just being lazy and does not know what they’re doing, they’re welcome to prove them wrong and do it.

Edited by Randy Calvert

Agree with OP.

From a developer perspective I fail to see how the support/ticket system is causing enough overhead for the IPS team to warrant it being decommissioned. Just sounds ridiculous considering it's so similar to forum/pages functionality.

"Oh there's already other ticket platforms" is an irrelevant statement. Obviously there's alternatives, but it's inconvenient and integration is not usually fun. The ticket system can be tied to purchases, it makes sense to be part of the same platform.

On 9/6/2023 at 8:20 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

This is not something that will be returning within the platform, and is not actually part of the v5 product. As mentioned in many areas, we will be concentrating more on the community side of things. There are many support products out there that people can choose to use if required. Even simplifying it, as you put it, would be time in developing a part of the product we no longer wish to continue with as a company

Wow, what an inconsiderate and tone deaf response to a loyal client that has been with IPS for 20+ years. You realize the category this thread was posted in is called "Feedback", right?

Edited by H5K

23 hours ago, Callum MacGregor said:

Why bother paying your developers when your customers will do it for you for free, right?

Same attitude that EA takes with "LiVe SupPorT" aka using paying customers to test their unfinished games for them with no cost.

That is not in any way what I said. I said someone may decide to do one. We however are not continuing with development on that product at present.

4 hours ago, H5K said:

From a developer perspective I fail to see how the support/ticket system is causing enough overhead for the IPS team to warrant it being decommissioned. Just sounds ridiculous considering it's so similar to forum/pages functionality.

This does not exist on version 5, and would need somewhat rewriting for version 5. It is not in any way similar to forums or pages, in that it primarily works with email ticket support. 

4 hours ago, H5K said:

Wow, what an inconsiderate and tone deaf response to a loyal client that has been with IPS for 20+ years. You realize the category this thread was posted in is called "Feedback", right?

Very sorry to hear that you feel that way. We have had a lot of feedback on the removal of this item, and I can assure you the removal of items from our product isn't something we do lightly. 

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This does not exist on version 5, and would need somewhat rewriting for version 5. It is not in any way similar to forums or pages, in that it primarily works with email ticket support. 

Email ticket support is not primarily how it works. Its an optional component to the ticket system that without, it can continue to function perfectly fine.

24 minutes ago, Callum MacGregor said:

Email ticket support is not primarily how it works. Its an optional component to the ticket system that without, it can continue to function perfectly fine.

While I realise you are disapointed there, arguing the semantics of what you or I believe to be the primary purpose of the feature is not going to change much in the context of what is going to be removed. Your proposal there would be for us to strip out the email functionality, rewrite parts of the software to be compatible with version 5, and then support it into the future. This is something we have decided not to take forward as a company.

If you wish to continue deprecation discussions, you can certainly do this within the topic for that purpose, which you can find in the following location