Manual Upgrade "Table Doesn't Exist"

Manually upgrading forums from 4.7.0 to 4.7.1? after a PHP upgrade from 7.4 to 8.1.  

Receiving error during the upgrade: 

Table 'ipb_mysql.ibf_core_widget_areas' doesn't exist
/home/********/***********.com/forum/applications/core/setup/upg_107400/queries.json - query #2
UPDATE `ibf_core_widget_areas` `core_widget_areas`  SET `widgets`=? WHERE app='core' AND ( controller IN ( 'login', 'register' ) ) 

Checking the database, this table does not exist, and does not appear to have existed previously.  We've been around since rev 3 (IPB_Firewall says hi!) so there is a ton of legacy stuff I've been working around.  

I also can't get into the admin CP, which isn't surprising considering I'm in the middle of an upgrade, but I'm also getting a missing table message for that:

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

Table 'ipb_mysql.ibf_core_theme_settings_fields' doesn't exist

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

I'm stuck, I can't retry or continue and the board is down for yet another day.  Any advice besides doing this upgrade offline first?

Is there somewhere I can go for a list of tables I should have for just a forum (and a calendar that isn't used)?

8 hours ago, ojaidave said:

Is there somewhere I can go for a list of tables I should have for just a forum (and a calendar that isn't used)?

Assuming you made a thorough backup of the database before the upgrade, can you check it and see if the aforementioned tables reported as missing are in there?

If your database backup doesn't have those tables, what you can do is install a brand new Ipb forum at your test installation using a different database and then export the missing tables from the test forum 's dataabse and import them to your live forum 's database.

Checking the database, this table does not exist, and does not appear to have existed previously.

This is strange. If the tables didn't exist, then you should have gotten an error message about it at some point.

Manually upgrading forums from 4.7.0 to 4.7.1?

A suggestion if I may, it would be best to upgrade to the current stable latest version instead, which is v4.7.12.

Edited by Miss_B

You will want to review your database backups because it would not be possible to run areas of the software with these tables missing on 4.7.0.

7 hours ago, ojaidave said:

since rev 3 (IPB_Firewall says hi!)

Just to comment on this segment here, in case you didn't know, IPB_Firewall means that your hosting has been compromised as this is not an Invision product but rather virus/backdoor of sorts. You will want to remove it ASAP and change all credentials to your hosting (hosting panel, FTP/SFTP, SSH, etc...)

That's a bug that was fixed around 4.7.6+ if I remember right. Sometimes the core app upgrade was not executed as the first one, and required tables were missing when other apps were updated first.

If you upgrade from 4.7.0 to 4.7.12 the error shouldn't appear anymore.

59 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

That's a bug that was fixed around 4.7.6+ if I remember right. Sometimes the core app upgrade was not executed as the first one, and required tables were missing when other apps were updated first.

If you upgrade from 4.7.0 to 4.7.12 the error shouldn't appear anymore.

Thanks.  This is where I started on Friday.  PHP is now upgraded to 8.1, which disabled Invision 4.7.0 and the upgrade is failing because of missing tables which also don't exist in backups dated 8 days ago

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

You will want to review your database backups because it would not be possible to run areas of the software with these tables missing on 4.7.0.

Just to comment on this segment here, in case you didn't know, IPB_Firewall means that your hosting has been compromised as this is not an Invision product but rather virus/backdoor of sorts. You will want to remove it ASAP and change all credentials to your hosting (hosting panel, FTP/SFTP, SSH, etc...)

I'm guessing we're not using those areas of the software?  Anyhow, looking back as far as the backups go (8 days), I don't find those tables, so unlikely or not, it is what it is.

Thanks, references to IPB Firewall have been removed.  

I'm in the process of performing a fresh install of the board software in a test environment.  Any reason I can't compare databases and import any "missing" tables into my existing board?  I'm hoping that'll work.

3 minutes ago, ojaidave said:

Any reason I can't compare databases and import any "missing" tables into my existing board?  I'm hoping that'll work.

I don't see any reason why you can't compare databases. Readding the missing tables should work in theory. However, you should note that any content that might have been added into those tables, will be gone. They will revert to default settings.

4 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

I don't see any reason why you can't compare databases. Readding the missing tables should work in theory. However, you should note that any content that might have been added into those tables, will be gone. They will revert to default settings.

Thanks!

I was wrong in my initial post regarding the missing tables.  I had tried to restore the tables by name through Dreamhosts clunky interface and the tables "didn't exitst".  If I restore the database from last week into a new location, the widget tables exist, so I'll attack it that way.

Sigh

10 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

This table (core_widget_areas) has existed since 4.0.0, so if they're missing from your backup that may suggest that your backup is incomplete.

Thanks!

Edited by ojaidave

Almost there.

The site upgraded and now it appears that due to copying tables from a different time frame, I have a disconnect between reactions and posts.  I lost a days worth of posts on the restore, which is fine.  What I didn't lose are the reactions to posts that now no longer exist.

So if I create a new post, existing reactions populate with that post.  Off the top of my head, I'm guessing that after a day or so, the post index number should advance to a point where it will be unique and reactions should work again?