Hello! I'm trying to modify the SMTP mail sending server. When I enter the password, no error message appears, but I see that the number of characters in the form doesn't update. It always looks like I'm entering 8 characters.

If I purposely enter the wrong password, the number of characters does update, but the mail doesn't work because the password is incorrect.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself well.

Thanks!

My pass contains 12 characters but only appears 8.

This is intentional. The SMTP password field does not actually contain your password, it's only the static number of *'s that you're seeing.

This is for security reasons, the actual password is stored in the database and only used when actually sending emails.

23 minutes ago, Sergio Andres said:

But when I try to send a test email, I get an error. The password is entered correctly.

It lets me save the password without giving me an error, but when I try to send a test email, it won't let me.

Thanks, Makoto

Password incorrect can also be a port issue.  Make sure your port setting, TLS/SSL settings, and smtp server settings are correct.

2 minutes ago, Sergio Andres said:

I still think it's a problem with the forum. I've tried using other emails but get the same result. When I enter the password, I don't get an error, but when I try to send the test email, a message appears saying that the username and password are not valid

That is coming from your SMTP provider, not the software so you would need to research that with them. If they require specific ports, TLS/SSL, etc... you will need to ensure that it is properly configured or it may fail in certain cases.

21 minutes ago, Sergio Andres said:

I try with gmail, outlook, yahoo.es

This is not recommended and is a good way to get your e-mail account shut down.

21 minutes ago, Sergio Andres said:

and my corporate domain...

If your corporate domain is hosted by Microsoft365 there are several other steps you'll need to do, and even then it is not recommended.  If it is hosted by Google G-Suite, you risk getting it shut down.

I recommend SendGrid and then setting up MailBouncer.

I've used Google Suite to handle my domains email for years without issue, it just doesn't scale well and at a point you start getting rate limited so much you need to switch to another provider.

You won't have your account closed for doing this. You are absolutely allowed to use your Google Suite account this way. You might not be allowed to with a free Gmail account, but you can with Google Suite.

However, as noted, if you are using Google Suite you need to set up an app password. You cannot use your regular login credentials.

Edited by Makoto

2 hours ago, Makoto said:

I've used Google Suite to handle my domains email for years without issue, it just doesn't scale well and at a point you start getting rate limited so much you need to switch to another provider.

You won't have your account closed for doing this. You are absolutely allowed to use your Google Suite account this way. You might not be allowed to with a free Gmail account, but you can with Google Suite.

However, as noted, if you are using Google Suite you need to set up an app password. You cannot use your regular login credentials.

It’s when you start getting a lot of bounces where Google starts threatening to shut you down. 

3 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

It’s when you start getting a lot of bounces where Google starts threatening to shut you down. 

Is this speaking from personal experience? What kind of volume were you pushing when that happened? I'm already pushing rate limits and I haven't had any issues yet even without bounce management.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:31 PM, Makoto said:

Is this speaking from personal experience? What kind of volume were you pushing when that happened? I'm already pushing rate limits and I haven't had any issues yet even without bounce management.

It's the bounces and "mark as spam" that will kill you, it's less about the volume.