Subscriptions: Group promotion and revert (reset to previous group)

panzerscope
Go to solution Solved by Marc,

Hello all,

Please guide me as to how this model could work for subscriptions?

** Subscription purchase is mandatory for registering a new account. **

Could contain: Page, Text

Member Groups:
-- Guest: Unregistered
-- A (BASIC): Minimal access (IPS Group ID=3 default)
-- B (TRIAL): Average access (IPS Group ID=7)
-- C (Premium): Full access (IPS Group ID=8)

We want when a Guest (unregistered member) buys a 7-day free trial subscription upon registration, they are moved into TRIAL group B. After 7-day free trial, the renewal term starts at $10 per month; and upon successful payment, they are then moved into PREMIUM group C. The subscription package is set when their purchase expires or is canceled, they go back into the previous group; ideally we want them to be moved back into BASIC group A.

Ques-1. Will they be moved from Guest (unregistered) to PREMIUM group C immediately upon registration; or initially they will be moved to BASIC group A/B for 7 days, and then after 7-day free trial, they move to PREMIUM group C? How does that work?

Ques-2. After 7-day free trial, if their renewal term does not start due to payment issues at their end; will they remain in group A/B (until their payment issue is resolved) and continue to enjoy the perks of group A/B free trial membership unless an Admin takes some manual action? Or they will be moved out from group A/B and placed in the Guest group? And if they move into the Guest group, will they still be a registered member (i.e. can they login) or their registration will be deleted from the system (like they were unregistered visitor before registering)?

Please advise, how to achieve this. I have gone through the IPS docs, guides and forum topics; but unable to find any solution.

Thanks

There isn’t any way to do what you’re looking to do there in one subscription unfortunately. You could add 2 different subscriptions, but even then you would have a trial that would never really end as they could renew that trial 

Thanks Marc. Although my queries are not addressed, let me rephrase with some edits:

** Subscription purchase is mandatory for registering a new account. **

Query-1. A Guest (unregistered member) registers with a subscription (with 7-day free trial), and is supposed to move into PREMIUM group C. During the trial period, in which group they would be?

Query-2. The renewal term starts at $10 per month; and upon successful payment, will they remain in the same PREMIUM group C?

Query-3. Do the change of group action occur during the renewal or once they bought the trial subscription?

Query-4. If their renewal term does not start due to payment issues at their end; will they remain in PREMIUM group C? If not, then where?

Query-5. In which group they will move back if the purchase expires or is canceled? Remember, they were registered from being Guest.

Any knowledgable member can guide please.

• Solution
13 hours ago, panzerscope said:

Query-1. A Guest (unregistered member) registers with a subscription (with 7-day free trial), and is supposed to move into PREMIUM group C. During the trial period, in which group they would be?

If that subscription moves to the premium group C, then they would move to that group during the trial  period also

Query-2. The renewal term starts at $10 per month; and upon successful payment, will they remain in the same PREMIUM group C?

They will indeed remain in that group

Query-3. Do the change of group action occur during the renewal or once they bought the trial subscription?

The group change action occurs upon point of having that subscription, whether they are on trial or not. Trial has exactly the same benefits as when they begin to pay

Query-4. If their renewal term does not start due to payment issues at their end; will they remain in PREMIUM group C? If not, then where?

If they do not pay for the subscription after their trial period, they will revert to their previous group once it expires. 

Query-5. In which group they will move back if the purchase expires or is canceled? Remember, they were registered from being Guest.

If they were already a member, it would revert to their previous group. As you are essentially registering in order to purchase the item, they would not have been a guest, their last state will have been whatever your first members group is on registration (by default thats 'members')

1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

I'd like to do something similar and have them in a different group during the "trial" where I can reduce some permissions during the "trial".

As mentioned, thats not something currently possible within the same subscription

Marc,

Thanks for clarifying the queries.

1 hour ago, AlexWebsites said:

I'd like to do something similar and have them in a different group during the "trial" where I can reduce some permissions during the "trial".

25 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

As mentioned, thats not something currently possible within the same subscription

Can you please note this as a feature suggestion and pass on the idea to thr IPS dev team for future implementation? It would be great to have flexibility in Commerce.