4.7.8 update changed data-mentionid @username text/background

I'm not sure exactly what has changed on the UI for what appears to be the data-mentionid but some users notice they can no longer see the names due to poor color choice.

It has changed it on all my modified themes (I get it, I'm responsible for those) but even the Default Theme does not show it properly for some users. It works for me, but not everyone.

@Malwarebytes Forums

Here above I can see the white on blue and quite readable

On our themes some see it as this on the Default Theme

Could contain: File, Text

On some darker themes it look like this now. The names are there, you simply cannot see them unless you select and highlight them.

Could contain: Text

Again, I understand that I'm responsible for any modified themes. But for some of our users the Default Theme is producing the same issue. On my system I cannot duplicate it on the Default Theme but based on the screenshots above they provided they are having the issue.

Current code as of 3/17/2023 on IPS v4.7.8

a[data-mentionid], .cToken {
    background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba( var(--theme-mentions), 0.25 ), rgba( var(--theme-mentions), 0.25 ));
    color: rgb( var(--theme-mentions) );
}

a[data-mentionid] {
    display: inline-block;
    border-radius: 20px;
    padding: .1em .8em;
    font-size: 90%;
    background: rgb( var(--theme-mentions) );
    color: #fff;
    text-decoration: none !important;
}

From a 2020 post

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/459107-where-is-the-username-textbackground-color-in-the-theme/

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/459107-where-is-the-username-textbackground-color-in-the-theme/?do=findComment&comment=2834833

a[data-mentionid] {
  background-image: linear-gradient(to bottom, {hextorgb="mentions" opacity=".15"}, {hextorgb="mentions" opacity=".15"});
  color: {hextorgb="mentions" opacity="1"};
}
a[data-mentionid]:hover {
  background-image: linear-gradient({hextorgb="mentions" opacity=".22"}, {hextorgb="mentions" opacity=".22"});
  color: {hextorgb="mentions" opacity="1"};
}

There is also this post, but doesn't seem to be the same issue
https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/471691-theme-color-mentions-not-applied-to-mentions/

Is this a bug or what can be done to correct it so that it does work properly on the Default Theme for all my users? Then I suppose I'll have to figure out what has changed there and see if I can update my modified themes.

Thank you for you input on this issue.

Would recommend to ensure that the theme is completely unaltered and not just named "Default" or some iteration of that. Next would suggest having the users clear their browser's cache for good measure to ensure they're pulling your latest CSS.

This is what is currently in the CSS for mentions:

a[data-mentionid] {
    display: inline-block;
    border-radius: 20px;
    padding: .1em .8em;
    font-size: 90%;
    background: rgb( var(--theme-mentions) );
    color: #fff;
    text-decoration: none !important;
}

Thank you for the feedback everyone. Haven't looked at them now for a couple years. Will have to dig in again I suppose and see why they don't work anymore. They've been working for a couple years now.

I suppose if no one else is having an issue then perhaps user caching issue for those where Default is not working.

Cheers

On 3/17/2023 at 9:04 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

Or just edit your theme's settings, go to the front end colours and set the Mentions entry to the colour of your choice (this now works, it didn't previously)

This would generally be the best way to go if you are changing basic colors, by the way. 🙂