Ignored member, still see a Topic they post?

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

When a member on my ignore list creates a Topic, I still see the Topic, but when I open it, the first post shows a message that the user is being ignore.  Should it not just hide the entire topic?  Granted you may see others post, but you'll have no context to the OP's initial post if you have them hidden.

Edited by Clover13

I believe that was by design. You are ignoring the messages only from that person.  That means replies others make are not subject to the same ignore restriction. 

A staff member can confirm, but my guess based on the fact there is already a message showing the OP is ignored is that was intentional. As a result, it would be working as intended. That if you want to suggest other logic, it would be best proposed in the Feedback forum. 

But again, I’m not IPS and don’t speak officially for them… so I’ll slink back in my corner and have a drink. 🙂 

Yeah it's pretty well known at this point that the ignore/block system is all bark and no bite. It's one the main things I criticise this application for. 

A lot of people on my community say that when they block someone they don't want to see their content, full stop period. Unfortunately, people you've "Ignored" still show up in the activity feed for example and their content isn't even blocked there at all, at least in my testing a couple of versions back.

It also doesn't stop them from sending private messages to you, if they already have an open private message with you. Which rather defeats the whole point. It also doesn't stop someone from just adding you to a conversation with them either. 

As I said. All bark - no bite. The most ineffective block/ignore system I've ever seen implemented, full stop period. 

7 hours ago, Tripp★ said:

Yeah it's pretty well known at this point that the ignore/block system is all bark and no bite. It's one the main things I criticise this application for. 

A lot of people on my community say that when they block someone they don't want to see their content, full stop period. Unfortunately, people you've "Ignored" still show up in the activity feed for example and their content isn't even blocked there at all, at least in my testing a couple of versions back.

It also doesn't stop them from sending private messages to you, if they already have an open private message with you. Which rather defeats the whole point. It also doesn't stop someone from just adding you to a conversation with them either. 

As I said. All bark - no bite. The most ineffective block/ignore system I've ever seen implemented, full stop period. 

I will say, the desire from a member to block another member doesn't have limitations.  They undoubtedly want to see absolutely nothing from that member (topics, replies, quoted replies, etc).  The challenge definitely is topics where you lose context once certain posts are hidden, but there's no avoiding that if you want to hide certain members and see others and there's a topic they are both participating in.

In this particular use case, it just seems especially odd to hide the OP's post (topic's first post) but not the topic itself.  You have zero context if you hide OP, so why would you want to see any replies to a first post you can't see?