menu manager should allow secondary groups

OptimusBain

Hello,

I want to suggest a much-needed feature allowing us to display new main menu entries BASED on secondary groups.

Currently, the software only allows you to display the menu options to the primary groups. However, when the community is used to offering several different products, secondary groups are a MUST. As of now, it's IMPOSSIBLE to choose a custom secondary group; we are forced to select a group from the list (see screenshot) but unable to display the menu entry based on primary/secondary groups.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

For this reason, when a new user purchases one of the many products in my community, I CANNOT show a specific menu entry because a new user will always belong to:

1. Primary group = member
  2. Secondary group = ProductX

Imagine I want to show a menu option to the user who purchased ProductX? I can't 😞 It's impossible. ACP let us create primary and secondary groups, but we can't display information in the main navigation based on secondary groups.

Imagine userX buys PRODUCT 1:

• UserX added to primary group = member
  • UserX added to secondary group = Product1 

An email is sent to him with the purchase and how to access the information, but sometimes the email will land in the spam folder. 

• I want a primary group = member to SEE the Buy Product1 in the main navigation. Once he purchases the product, his user is added to the secondary group = Product1
  • However, since he will always belong to the primary group = member, HE WILL ALWAYS SEE the BUY COURSE, but he already purchased the course 😞

This is a big problem. We can create complex menu navigation, but the menu manager will NOT support secondary groups. That forces the users to see information they SHOULD not see.

For instance:

• UserX purchased product1. He should NOT see BUY Product1 in the list of products in the Menu because he already purchased it 😞

How can we tackle this problem? Secondary groups are not supported in many other areas and I was wondering why. If a secondary group is an option (ACP supports it), shouldn't secondary groups BE AVAILABLE as an option EVERYWHERE in ACP?

Thanks

From what you've written your problem are not secondary groups. Rather in your situation you'd need an option to NOT show the menu item if the user has certain groups.

With such option you could setup the menu items in this way:

• Show BUY PRODUCT#1 LINK if the user has the MEMBER group and does NOT have the group PRODUCT#1.
  • Show PRODUCT#1 PURCHASED LINK if the user has the group PRODUCT#1.

It shouldn't be that hard to make a modification for it, but for now I'll add it to my todo list since I'm a bit busy with other modifications. 🤔

Edited by teraßyte

2 hours ago, teraßyte said:

From what you've written your problem are not secondary groups. Rather in your situation you'd need an option to NOT show the menu item if the user has certain groups.

With such option you could setup the menu items in this way:

• Show BUY PRODUCT#1 LINK if the user has the MEMBER group and does NOT have the group PRODUCT#1.
  • Show PRODUCT#1 PURCHASED LINK if the user has the group PRODUCT#1.

It shouldn't be that hard to make a modification for it, but for now I'll add it to my todo list since I'm a bit busy with other modifications. 🤔

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.

However, I don't understand how I could do what you suggest in the menu builder.

Basically, because I can't any IF THEN, or AND/OR option in the menu manager. The menu item is either shown or hidden to the selected group. There is no option to show/hide a menu IF the user belongs to another group 😞 

Correct. What I said is not possible by default in Invision Community right now. I just clarified what you actually need to solve your situation because simply adding support for secondary groups wouldn't work.

Either IPS adds it in a future version (this topic is in the feature suggestions forum) or someone makes a modification for it (I plan on taking a look at it when I have some time).