Can I Set Custom Ban/Approval Management Rules per Pages Database?

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Hello! I am about to launch a Pages Database that will work as a kind of crowd-sourced information resource (like a wiki, almost), and I have a few questions about moderation/approvals for this specific space that I wanted to ask in case I was missing anything:

1. Is there a way to 'ban' offending users solely from the Pages Database instance, preventing them from editing/contributing to the Pages Database - while still allowing them regular access to other apps? My main app is Forums, and I don't want to have to completely ban users from the Forums if I want to simply restrict them from editing the Pages. Would I need to set up a new usergroup for this and just move users I don't want to edit Pages into that new usergroup?

2. I have a usergroup called 'Curator' that will act as a semi-moderator for the Pages Database only. They will have no other moderation privileges and won't have the same access or status as a moderator. Is there a way to allow users in that specific group to receive and manage notifications for edit/create approvals for Pages Database? I imagine the way it works at the moment is that all Moderators and Admins will get such approval notifications, but I'd like this 'Curator' usergroup specifically to handle these entirely. I know there is an ACP section for Members > Staff > Moderators where I can specify exactly what each usergroup can be allowed to moderate, but there doesn't seem to be a toggle for managing approvals per database?

• Solution
18 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Is there a way to 'ban' offending users solely from the Pages Database instance, preventing them from editing/contributing to the Pages Database - while still allowing them regular access to other apps? My main app is Forums, and I don't want to have to completely ban users from the Forums if I want to simply restrict them from editing the Pages. Would I need to set up a new usergroup for this and just move users I don't want to edit Pages into that new usergroup?

You would indeed need to create a new group for that purpose that has no access, and move them to that group as needed. There is no other way of doing this.

19 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

I have a usergroup called 'Curator' that will act as a semi-moderator for the Pages Database only. They will have no other moderation privileges and won't have the same access or status as a moderator. Is there a way to allow users in that specific group to receive and manage notifications for edit/create approvals for Pages Database? I imagine the way it works at the moment is that all Moderators and Admins will get such approval notifications, but I'd like this 'Curator' usergroup specifically to handle these entirely. I know there is an ACP section for Members > Staff > Moderators where I can specify exactly what each usergroup can be allowed to moderate, but there doesn't seem to be a toggle for managing approvals per database?

These are individual notification settings. So they would edit their notification settings on the front end, rather than something you edit from the admin CP. They will have a "Moderation" section, which includes approval notifications

Thanks Marc. I just checked the individual notification settings area as advised - it doesn't seem like there's a way to allow for approval requests by database? It just has an overall "moderator approval" section which seems to apply to everything.

The ideal things here would be for me to allow my Moderators usergroup to continue getting notifications for Forum-based approval requests (i.e. I have a 'newbie' usergroup for new registrations that require their first posts in the forum to be approved by a moderator), and allow for 'Curators' usergroup to only get notifications for Pages Database-based approval requests.

Otherwise, my moderators will get requests for Pages approvals and Curators will get requests for Forums approvals, right? Or is there an option on AdminCP that would make sure Moderators and Curators don't get approval requests for areas they are not in authority over?

OK that makes sense - I guess by default then, the 'Curators' would get approval notifications for the Pages app but not the Forums app as they don't have the access to moderate any of the forums... I am guessing there would be a similar way to set this up for Moderators so that the reverse is true (i.e. is there maybe a toggle on ACP > Members > Staff > Moderators that I could uncheck for the Moderator usergroup relating to Page Databases? Or maybe something to do with the Database's permissions area)?

I just want to make sure the Mods on my forum aren't getting spammed with approval requests for something they don't care about! 🙂

Appreciate the guidance on this!

10 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

OK that makes sense - I guess by default then, the 'Curators' would get approval notifications for the Pages app but not the Forums app as they don't have the access to moderate any of the forums... I am guessing there would be a similar way to set this up for Moderators so that the reverse is true (i.e. is there maybe a toggle on ACP > Members > Staff > Moderators that I could uncheck for the Moderator usergroup relating to Page Databases? Or maybe something to do with the Database's permissions area)?

I just want to make sure the Mods on my forum aren't getting spammed with approval requests for something they don't care about! 🙂

Appreciate the guidance on this!

Correct, you would simply remove permissions for their member group (or user) to moderate those specific areas. Each database will show up in the Moderators permission area in the ACP.

Thanks for the help Jim - so in the Moderator's permissions area in the ACP I navigated to the database in question and these are the options that appear:

Could contain: Night, Outdoors, Nature, Text, Moon, Astronomy, Page

Since nothing is checked, I'm guessing it means any approval requests that are made will not go to the Moderator group at all? I can see there is a toggle under the general 'Content' area titled, "Can enable/disable moderation on all content?" with the note, "This will allow individual content items to require approval for new comments." That is currently toggled OFF anyway, but is that relevant to what I want to do here at all?

4 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Thanks for the help Jim - so in the Moderator's permissions area in the ACP I navigated to the database in question and these are the options that appear:

Could contain: Night, Outdoors, Nature, Text, Moon, Astronomy, Page

Since nothing is checked, I'm guessing it means any approval requests that are made will not go to the Moderator group at all? I can see there is a toggle under the general 'Content' area titled, "Can enable/disable moderation on all content?" with the note, "This will allow individual content items to require approval for new comments." That is currently toggled OFF anyway, but is that relevant to what I want to do here at all?

If your moderators have their permissions set in the "Forums" tab, that is all which they will be able to moderate. They will not receive notifications about Databases, as in your screenshot, it is disabled.

Ahh, I see now - so I checked my Forum tab and nothing was selected... but I checked the 'Content' tab and a lot of options there were toggled ON (i.e. "Pin all content"). Deselecting all of those options in the Content tab made all of those same options available under the Forum tab (and the Database tab actually), which is I'm guessing what I need to do in order to efficiently segment the moderation accesses between usergroups?

If that's the case, I'll go ahead and do some admin and sort all of that out. Appreciate the guidance, it's very helpful! 🙂 

Edited by Dreadknux

33 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Ahh, I see now - so I checked my Forum tab and nothing was selected... but I checked the 'Content' tab and a lot of options there were toggled ON (i.e. "Pin all content"). Deselecting all of those options in the Content tab made all of those same options available under the Forum tab (and the Database tab actually), which is I'm guessing what I need to do in order to efficiently segment the moderation accesses between usergroups?

If that's the case, I'll go ahead and do some admin and sort all of that out. Appreciate the guidance, it's very helpful! 🙂 

Correct. Segmenting these would allow you to get the results you desire.