Is it possible to "unlock" a modified resource for PHP 8

Go to solution Solved by DawPi,

We are gradually experimenting on our test site with the implementing of PHP 8 before we go on to upgrade the live site.

I'm very pleased to say that most things seem to work but one resource – Automatic Social Promotion by @Adrian A.doesn't work and appears to be "locked".

A developer has very kindly come up with a modification which he says will solve the problem and allow it to work with the new PHP version.

We have made the modification but the resource still says "locked".

How can we unlock it please?

Edited by BankFodder

I hear what you say – but I'm afraid that the author doesn't seem to be interested in it any more so I am afraid that we have to make do and mend.

I really wish that @Adrian A. Would get back on board with this because it is extremely useful plug-in for any busy forum and there are some interesting refinements I would like to suggest as well

Edited by BankFodder

25 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Yes I understand that – but we are talking about fairly serious money here. If a developer produces a resource which is sold to a number of people then they benefit from an economy of scale.

I think you're over-estimating the reach of scale here.  The majority of resources see a handful of purchases.  Those that have had hundreds of purchases have been done over the course of many years.  The money is not as "serious" as you think.  

The most purchased resource has about 45 downloads a year attributed to it.  That's with the TOP resource with the most downloads.  Scroll through the marketplace and look at the number of purchases...  the majority of resources don't come near that scale.  

By sharing the cost of development with others, you get the benefit of lower cost for a resource...  but it runs the risk of being abandoned later if/when the developer decides its not worth their time.  And if you tell a developer you're going to take their work and give it to someone else...  you won't have anyone develop for that platform.