Change the owner

I realize that one cannot change the 'owner' of a thread in the Forum and yet... it would be very helpful if when a dev sells or cedes his/her app to another dev that there be a change of the owner of the app and the support thread. Not changing this is unfair to the dev and to the clients. Clients waste time chasing after the wrong dev and devs do not feel good about the mistaken identity - both the old dev who keeps getting pestered and the new dev who might not be getting the love they deserve for the upkeep of the app, theme or plugin. Maybe you could write a back end script just for IPS to change just files and support threads? It would make the marketplace look more professional to know that it reflects the now and not the then.

Thoughts?

Thx.

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't the onus be on the creator of the app to update the support topic to reflect and/or announce the change of ownership? It could perhaps be in the first line of the topic so that everyone is clearly informed, or even adding something in the topic title.

I would assume, more often than not, the new creator would want his/her own support topic created, so the creator could request the new owner to create their own support topic, close the original topic, and both posts could link to each other for future reference (the final post of the original topic linking to the new topic, and the new topic linking to the original topic for anyone to refer to).

Just a thought for a workaround.

No one, of course. I'm just brainstorming.

Assuming you cannot edit your first post to provide the news to future and existing clients, you can always private message me to make the necessary edits. It takes all of two minutes and would not be a burden. It's not often that someone sells or offloads their plugin/s in hindsight.

Just now, Gary said:

you can always private message me to make the necessary edits. It takes all of two minutes and would not be a burden

I think it would. I already requested to change the authorship of the topic via ticket (or topic but I couldn't find it as it is probably already archived) and they said Forums app doesn't has the "Change Author" feature, which is funny as it can be added in 3 minutes, so they couldn't update the database directly as there are much more in the background like search index, etc. Yes, I know... They know. Still, IPS knows what to do.

I do get your point. It would definitely take a lot of behind the scenes work to enable such a feature, not to mention the work involved ironing out the plethora of issues that would make themselves known.

I was more offering to edit your first post with some sort of message to advise your clients (and future clients for the new owner) so at least they are aware that there has been a change of ownership, that's all.

2 minutes ago, Gary said:

I was more offering to edit your first post with some sort of message to advise your clients (and future clients for the new owner) so at least they are aware that there has been a change of ownership, that's all.

Ok, not necessary, really. I think what stands out is the name of the person who created the topic, which is on every page at the top.

Thanks.

Since the Classifieds app has changed hands from Adriano in the Marketplace, wouldn't an easy solution be:

• The new dev creates a new support topic.
  • The new dev edits the post in the Marketplace to link to the new support topic.
  • The new dev (or old dev) asks Gary to lock the old support topic.

?

Isn't that a sensible way of proceeding? I assume that the file in the Marketplace can only be associated with a new dev with the intervention of an IC staff member, so why not make the above part of that same process?

Just now, Meddysong said:

Since the Classifieds app has changed hands from Adriano in the Marketplace, wouldn't an easy solution be:

• The new dev creates a new support topic.
  • The new dev edits the post in the Marketplace to link to the new support topic.
  • The new dev (or old dev) asks Gary to lock the old support topic.

?

Isn't that a sensible way of proceeding? I assume that the file in the Marketplace can only be associated with a new dev with the intervention of an IC staff member, so why not make the above part of that same process?

Still won't solv. I will keep to receive messages from people that access the old topic.

The problem here is that IPS untied the support topic from the file years ago, so the dev creates the topic if he wants. In a "regular" usage, changing the author in Downloads, will also change the topic author.

Even locking the old topic (support will be given in the new one), relevancy will show the old topic in search results, for example.

As I see it, either IPS integrates all of the functionality that is available in the marketplace, or everything is done to make life easier both for third-party developers and their clients. I firmly believe that this is a cornerstone to IPS’s long-term success.

One more thing, we don’t want to lose all the past entries, so a new topic, for me, is not a great avenue.

IPS had change author of topics in their core, but sadly they removed that great function long time ago. @Gary perhaps you can ask the IPS management to install this plugin 

and then give you access to it. Make announcement for everyone that would like his Marketplace support topic author to be changed to report it or send you a PM of that request.

If IPS wants to address this problem, they have this extremely straightforward remedy at their disposal.