S3 File Storage Move Failing

Ryan M

So I recently tried changing my downloads file storage from the local server to S3. I set up a cron and even tried running the maintenance tasks manually, but nothing is moving over. I can't stop the change because it says no changes can be made while a move is in process (there should be a cancel option)

Could contain: Text

. At first I got an error about the PHP upload size limit, which was 2M (I updated this to 16M), but now I am getting this error when I try to manually run the tasks:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 2147483648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1077367400 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/swrebellion.net/httpdocs/system/Http/Request/Sockets.php on line 247

There has got to be a way to abort this process and remove the S3 storage option altogether.

Edited by Ryan M

You have the same issue there. You are running out of memory.  You would need to up your memory limit again in order to ensure there is enough for moving large files across.

There is no cancel option, as this has already been started, and even if that button were to exist, it would actually have to start a move process itself (to move the items its already moved back)

38 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You have the same issue there. You are running out of memory.  You would need to up your memory limit again in order to ensure there is enough for moving large files across.

There is no cancel option, as this has already been started, and even if that button were to exist, it would actually have to start a move process itself (to move the items its already moved back)

So server options in the control panel don't allow me more than 16M for the upload_max_filesize but I manually edited php.ini so I think it is set for 100M now.Could contain: Number, Text, Symbol, Word, Home Decor

So I started the manual run again and it just spins looking like this. We'll see what happens. My largest file is just under 90M

Could contain: White Board, White, Texture

29 minutes ago, balazsp said:

@Ryan M

how many GBs are you trying to move to S3? 

At the moment less than 200M

Current memory limit is 128M. My largest file it should be trying to transfer is only 85MB. There are only 7 files of this type listed in the admin center, and the rest of them are under 2MB. I had the "run tasks manually" page up attempting to run for the last 4 hours and according to the dashboard, progress meters for everything are at 0.

Could contain: Text, Page, Document

This will basically be a showstopper if none of the background tasks ever can run.,.

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, File

What I also wonder about is why the background process manual run page gets stuck on "Starting ..." with a spinning "thinking" circle. If I recall correctly, it usually would have numbers like X processes of (total) completed and would frequently refresh that number.

I can't even check the settings of the S3 storage to see if I notice anything wrong since it won't let me view it while it is attempting to move files, though I think I would have seen an error of some kind if it weren't connectiving at all.

Sorry, Im a little confused here. You had checked your error logs and it states there that you are out of memory, which is what is causing you the issue. This would not necessarily correlate to file size. If you havent upped the memory limit since you were trying this last, then nothing will change. You need to temporarily significantly increase your memory limit setting. 

Ah yes, sorry about that. So I upped the memory limit to 2G and then to 4G and I am still seeing similar or same errors. I verified the config with phpinfo. Since no files have moved, is there a way I can delete the move task somewhere in the db or a config file and then delete the S3 endpoint? There has got to be a way to stop it, otherwise all tasks won't run and be stuck because its holding it up, making the backend functions of the community stop working.

Any chance of you guys connecting to take a look?