Quoted Post Truncation -- Where is this setting?

My forum was recently upgraded from 4.4 to 4.7, and one of the new features is that long, quoted posts are not shown in their entirety.  Very welcome improvement!  However, I have no idea where this setting is in the ACP, but I could have sworn I saw it at some point (and it is enabled on my forum).  After searching and then looking through various settings pages in the ACP, I cannot find it for the life of me.  Can someone please point it out to me?

Thanks!

Guess I was smoking crack thinking I saw a setting for that.

There are three things that would be nice to control:

1. A global setting to turn this on or off for the entire forum.
  2. A setting that lets the admin choose how many lines to display before truncating. Right now I think it truncates a bit too soon, and obviously that is a personal preference, but on my forum I'd allow the quote box to be a bit larger.
  3. A per-user setting that allows members to decide if they want this feature enabled or disabled.  I've already had people ask me how they can turn this off.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2022 at 11:13 PM, AtariAge said:
  • A global setting to turn this on or off for the entire forum.
  • A setting that lets the admin choose how many lines to display before truncating. Right now I think it truncates a bit too soon, and obviously that is a personal preference, but on my forum I'd allow the quote box to be a bit larger.

The following plugin does the trick but you can't select more than 7 lines being hardcoded:

Edited by Luuuk

45 minutes ago, Luuuk said:

you can't select more than 7 lines being hardcoded

Can't edit my post above but there is an update pending:

15 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

v2.2.1 is currently pending approval, and the only change is to remove the 'Max' on the "Number of lines to show in truncated quotes" setting, as it no longer appears to be an requirement to have it there...a bigger number can now be used.

So the plugin does all you want including the user settings (I missed to quote that part).

Edited by Luuuk

3 minutes ago, Luuuk said:

Can't edit my post above but there is an update pending:

So the plugin does all you want including the user settings (I missed to quote that part).

Thank you, I'll definitely check this out once it's updated (and I need to update my forum to 4.7.x as well, and I see the update includes that support).  I especially like the bit where it'll hide quotes for users you have ignored.  My members have been complaining about this for a while. 

..Al

I had a similar issue, but slightly different execution - maybe sharing my solution will help you in some way?

I wanted to keep the quote truncation for forums/user-generated content, but I'm building out a news/blog side to my setup using Pages, and I didn't want truncation on quotes made on Page records. The quote blocks use CSS to truncate the content, so I used CSS to override this on Page records and allow full quotes to show only there.

If you want to only remove truncation for quotes on a certain part of your site, this method does require you know the parent container CSS class so that your changes do not apply broadly to your entire installation.

.XXXX .ipsQuote .ipsQuote_contents {
	height: auto !important;
  	position: unset !important;
  	overflow: auto;
	}

.XXXX .ipsQuote .ipsQuote_contents.ipsTruncate + a.ipsTruncate_more,
.XXXX .ipsQuote .ipsQuote_contents.ipsTruncate:after {
  	display: none;
	}

Where 'XXXX' is the class of the parent container (i.e. article.mysitenews, or even article[data-controller="core.front.modcp.report"]). The first CSS command opens the truncated quote block so the entire quoted text is visible, while the second CSS command removes the 'Expand' area underneath a truncated area.

I don't know if you're looking for something a bit more advanced, given your talk of hiding quotes for ignored users etc - maybe a plugin is more what you're after - but hopefully this can help in some small way. 🙂