A User Sent a Message Via the Contact Form Spam

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

• Solution

The Contact Us form, if you have forcing guests to fill out a CAPTCHA on ACP -> Members -> Spam Prevention -> CAPTCHA, will force the user to fill out a CAPTCHA.

In 4.7, we are implementing a new CAPTCHA system, hCAPTCHA into our arsenal. If you are finding Google's CAPTCHA systems are getting bypassed, you can try hCAPTCHA. I, personally, have been having success with it on my personal community.

If you want to simply turn the contact us form off for guests, you can do that in ACP -> System -> Contact Us -> Show Contact Us to.

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

The Contact Us form, if you have forcing guests to fill out a CAPTCHA on ACP -> Members -> Spam Prevention -> CAPTCHA, will force the user to fill out a CAPTCHA.

In 4.7, we are implementing a new CAPTCHA system, hCAPTCHA into our arsenal. If you are finding Google's CAPTCHA systems are getting bypassed, you can try hCAPTCHA. I, personally, have been having success with it on my personal community.

If you want to simply turn the contact us form off for guests, you can do that in ACP -> System -> Contact Us -> Show Contact Us to.

Thanks for that info, Jim but before l go ahead is there a reason for this form of communication? It just seems to be a loophole for forum owners to get spammed by cretins who have found a work around.

2 minutes ago, tmcom said:

Thanks for that info, Jim but before l go ahead is there a reason for this form of communication? It just seems to be a loophole for forum owners to get spammed by cretins who have found a work around.

The contact form can be used for many reasons depending on your needs. Some examples:

• a method for individuals who are having issues registering/logging in to contact you
  • ways for outside sources to reach ownership/staff of your community for various reasons:
    • advertising inquiry
    • legal questions/issues
    • pre-registration questions
    • etc...

Of course, if you see no need for these, you can certainly disable it.