Commerce: Braintree -> PayPal -> US State codes

Hi,

It looks like the Braintree -> PayPal integration may need some attention.

We recently changed our site from the "old" PayPal integration, to Braintree -> PayPal, and have had numerous customers report they can't purchase due to an error.

Looking at the invoice in the AdminCP, we see that the error states:

Refused
US state codes must be two characters to meet PayPal Seller Protection requirements.

Since IPS stores customer states as full text - e.g Texas vs TX - I assume this must be the reason for this error message.

The funny thing is I tried purchasing something myself, and could not reproduce the error.

We've reverted back to the "old" PayPal method for now, but I think this is worth looking into.

Our site is running 4.6.10, FYI.

• 3 months later...

Similar problem here.  Some users are successful with Braintree/PayPal, some fail.  Note from the last one: I tried to pay w Paypal yet again, but after entering all of my info in paypal and clicking "pay" it just kicks me back to the original "Checkout" page as if nothing had happened.

I find the invoice in IPS, with no error message...it's just pending/waiting for payment.  No transaction, completed or failed, appears in Braintree or in PayPal.

I can't yet identify why some succeed and some fail.  Any ideas for troubleshooting?  There's so little evidence now.

The issue listed here was resolved in 4.6.12 and would only impact Braintree. If you're having issues specifically with PayPal, that would be something separate which I can split this to a new topic so we can investigate that.

You can check for any errors by going to the System Log in ACP -> Support after the issue occurs. 

13 minutes ago, NSPN said:

We are on 4.6.12.1.  We are using Braintree as a gateway only for PayPal.  I find no relevant errors in the system log.

Please provide us an invoice/transaction example and we can take a look.

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

10 minutes ago, NSPN said:

Access info updated

Unfortunately, we're missing data still in the information there. Please ensure you provide the full details in the proper spaces requested.

For our Invision Community admin area, we will require both username and password (the support tool will provide you these items, but you still need to provide them to us, they are not sent to us).

For SFTP/FTP, please use the fields provided to send this access details to us.

11 minutes ago, NSPN said:

Updated

Thank you. We will also require the invoice number.

It is also worth noting that your POP3 configuration for incoming support requests is broken and massively populating your system log with a couple hundred errors logged per day. You'll want to disable this if you're not using it or correct the configuration. This is important as these are flooding your logs and will make it harder for us to review what is happening here with the issue you're having.

Invoices 3442 and 3443 failed as described...the customer was thrown out of Braintree/PayPal.  I haven't talked to others, but suspect 3429 and 3450 are the same.

I have disabled display of "Contact Us", and confirmed the SMTP password in email settings.  Errors continue to be logged.  The password displayed in the error log entry does not match the password entered.  Otherwise the mail system is working well, sending notifications and PMs.

Just now, NSPN said:

I have disabled display of "Contact Us", and confirmed the SMTP password in email settings.  Errors continue to be logged.  The password displayed in the error log entry does not match the password entered.  Otherwise the mail system is working well, sending notifications and PMs.

This is not SMTP. Please note this is for ACP -> Commerce -> Support -> Settings -> Incoming POP3.

4 minutes ago, NSPN said:

Invoices 3442 and 3443 failed as described...the customer was thrown out of Braintree/PayPal.  I haven't talked to others, but suspect 3429 and 3450 are the same.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing a specific error or even a transaction attempt related to these. This likely would be something at the client side which failed but I cannot confirm that either.

Looking at your setup, you're using Braintree but have it paying via PayPal. Is there a reason why you're not simply using the normal PayPal integration? I state this as you have a normal PayPal integration setup as well.

8 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, I am not seeing a specific error or even a transaction attempt related to these. This likely would be something at the client side which failed but I cannot confirm that either.

Looking at your setup, you're using Braintree but have it paying via PayPal. Is there a reason why you're not simply using the normal PayPal integration? I state this as you have a normal PayPal integration setup as well.

We used the normal PayPal integration for years.  We had continuing problems with automatic renewals, since PayPal generated the renewal and then webhook failed to connect to IPS...people were charged but didn't get renewed.  This is a well documented problem.  Braintree was recommended as the solution.  We still have the old PayPal method available for renewals, but not for new purchases.

22 minutes ago, Jim M said:

This is not SMTP. Please note this is for ACP -> Commerce -> Support -> Settings -> Incoming POP3.

Found, fixed, many thanks.  Gotta say, nobody can bury a setting like IPS.  We don't use the support system, so it escaped my search.  Searching the guides for incoming support found nothing.

13 hours ago, Jim M said:

It is also worth noting that your POP3 configuration for incoming support requests is broken and massively populating your system log with a couple hundred errors logged per day.

It appears you missed this part @NSPN . This has to have been set up from there at some point and is actually only used for the support system. 

6 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It appears you missed this part @NSPN . This has to have been set up from there at some point and is actually only used for the support system. 

I did see it.  I didn't find the incoming support requests settings, and a search for "incoming support" in user guides comes up empty.  The support system was set up long ago, but we don't really use it, so I didn't think to look for it under commerce.  Password on mail was changed at some point and updated in email settings but not in support settings.  The two places where the same email password must be updated are rather remote from each other.

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

Ah, no problem. Glad to see you got the issue resolved in any case

Well, we got the secondary problem resolved.  The primary issue of people not being able to pay through Braintree/PayPal remains open.

2 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would need to know exactly what the message was that the users saw when trying to purchase, as we are not seeing any errors in the logs

This is my problem.  As I explained in my original post above, the user is kicked out of Braintree with no error message, there is no error logged, and the invoice is simply marked "waiting for payment".  There just isn't enough evidence.

• 9 months later...

This may be coincidence, but we upgraded from 4.6.10 to 4.7.8 recently, and ran into this again using the Braintree PayPal integration:

US state codes must be two characters to meet PayPal Seller Protection requirements.

The difference here is:

• I've verified the fix that was applied last time was retained.
  • PayPal orders have been flowing just fine since the upgrade.
  • The billing address that threw this error is in Mexico.

In any case, I've updated my site access info, and the Transaction # in question is 30656.

I'll also just state that this was duly noted!

I dug around some more, and it was doing this even when we were on 4.6.10.

It seems it only happens with non-US addresses, so its a rather fringe issue for us.  If there is no "low hanging fruit" solution to this, I'm OK just living with it until we switch to Stripe.

Edited by IPCommerceFan