Home Page - "The page you requested does not exist"

Circo
Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hello Support...

This thread stems from my questions/issues in the CSRF protection key thread. I'm not seeing that error/response any more, but users going to my home page are greeted with a "The page you requested does not exist".  I am able to duplicate the problem as well as I am unable to edit the page/blocks using page manager.

New users to my site are greeted with this:
VPU_New_user.thumb.png.bf35ca783b13e45bcb3a83fb36f8cc88.png

Users are able to register, login, and navigate the site via the other tabs.  However, my home page is blank and this causes confusion.

Once a user logs in they are taken to the /forums url. The site acts like it should.
LoggedIn.thumb.png.5d282860f0a752887037e0b3a47d637b.png

If I want to go back to my home page by going to the root url. This is where I was originally getting the CSRF protestion key response.  Now it shows that I am logged out, blank home page, and unable to access the block manager for that page. 

VPU_New_user.thumb.png.bf35ca783b13e45bcb3a83fb36f8cc88.png

However, I'm not really logged out.. I can click on any tab and it's logged in and site works fine.  I have tested this using the test login that support has access to and get the same behaviour.

I am also not able to set a "Default App".  It seems to change under Applications, but either I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but it's not changing my "home" page either.

I'd love to be able to create my home page, but not able to get past this issue. 

Please send help!

Edited by Circo

Not sure if these problems are related or not, but I am also not able to set a "Default App".  It seems to change under Applications, but either I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but it's not changing my "home" page either. If I change Default App to Pages. It changes my Forums to /forums/forums.  Main URL page does not change and still shows loggeed out.

• Solution

Your base URL is http://vpuniverse.com/forums/ so going to the root domain will not show anything. Looks like you have an old, unsupported file in your root which will no longer work to place a Pages page at your root when our software is in another folder. You will need to move the software to the root directory of your domain and then set Pages as the default application and the page you want to show as the default page.

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Your base URL is http://vpuniverse.com/forums/ so going to the root domain will not show anything. Looks like you have an old, unsupported file in your root which will no longer work to place a Pages page at your root when our software is in another folder. You will need to move the software to the root directory of your domain and then set Pages as the default application and the page you want to show as the default page.

@Jim M Thanks for this info and the quick response on a Saturday.

So, all of the contents of /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com/forums need to be moved to /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com?  Which file is the old, unsupported file? Do I need to remove this file or will it be overwritten when I move the files to root?

6 minutes ago, Circo said:

@Jim M Thanks for this info and the quick response on a Saturday.

So, all of the contents of /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com/forums need to be moved to /home/vpuniverse/vpuniverse.com?  Which file is the old, unsupported file? Do I need to remove this file or will it be overwritten when I move the files to root?

Yes, you would need to grab everything in your installation directory and move it to the root if you wish to have it there. You can read this guide which covers moving your installation to a different server, can ignore everything with a database as that would stay the same in this case: https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/server-management/moving-to-another-server-server-transfer-r282/

Should just be the index.php file in your root.

21 hours ago, Jim M said:

Yes, you would need to grab everything in your installation directory and move it to the root if you wish to have it there. You can read this guide which covers moving your installation to a different server, can ignore everything with a database as that would stay the same in this case: https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/server-management/moving-to-another-server-server-transfer-r282/

Should just be the index.php file in your root.

@Jim M I have moved the files as requested.  I believe that the correct index.php in in root now.  I am running into another issue...  I'm able to access admin (no images), but if I go to the root url. I see the offline message and I'm logged out.  If I try to sign in; I'm getting a "Internal Server Error".  If I remove my .htaccess it takes me to https://vpuniverse.com/login/ with an error of: 

"Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I'm also getting "License Key Invalid". My license key points to /forums, but I just tried to reset this via Manage Purchases.  Unfortunately, the email was sent to my partners email address with the instructions. I guess I need to update my license to the root domain now.

I believe you need an updated htaccess from your ACP.  Since the path to redirect requests has changed, it needs to be updated within htaccess as well.

And yes… the license needs to be updated to the correct path (now root).  The good thing is it should not break your site until you can resolve it. Just an FYI until your license status is resolved, you can’t download/install things from the marketplace. Anything already installed is unaffected.  

14 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

I believe you need an updated htaccess from your ACP.  Since the path to redirect requests has changed, it needs to be updated within htaccess as well.

And yes… the license needs to be updated to the correct path (now root).  The good thing is it should not break your site until you can resolve it. Just an FYI until your license status is resolved, you can’t download/install things from the marketplace. Anything already installed is unaffected.  

Hmm, any idea what needs to be in the .htaccess file?  The Invision Community download does not have an .htaccess file.  I just updated my old .htaccess file with the following:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
Options -MultiViews
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule \.(js|css|jpeg|jpg|gif|png|ico|map)(\?|$) /forums/404error.php [L,NC]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

This gets me further along... I'm able to now see the site. Looks like a lot of images/icons are still missing.

Thanks, I did know that about the license.  Just mentioned it so support could reset it for me until I can get the email from my partner.

11 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You can download a new .htaccess in ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> in the description of Rewrite URL, you will find instructions.

Yeah, I got that working... Now trying to figure out why my site/theme icons/images aren't showing now.  Everything else seems to be working; including my initial issues with not being able to set a default app.

2 minutes ago, Circo said:

Yeah, I got that working... Now trying to figure out why my site/theme icons/images aren't showing now.  Everything else seems to be working; including my initial issues with not being able to set a default app.

Try clearing your cache in ACP -> System -> Support -> Clear System Caches. This is necessary after changing your URL.

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Try clearing your cache in ACP -> System -> Support -> Clear System Caches. This is necessary after changing your URL.

Yea! That worked.

Looks like the only looming issue is the license URL. Anything you can do about resetting my license URL?  I don't have access to the email that the system says it sent.  It just needs to go from /forums to just the root URL.

As a courtesy, I have adjusted your license URL for you. Please update the email address on file for yourself to email you have access to as important messages are sent to it regarding your community.

If you continue to see an invalid URL message in the ACP, please go to ACP -> System -> License Key -> Refresh License Key.