ACP Permissions

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Have a few questions, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

1. Is there a comprehensive list of what ACP permissions allow in detail more than the simple labels on the permissions settings page?

2. If #1 is a no, then can someone please explain more clearly what the following permissions actually do?

img1.png.55f3673750159a3fdac6dd8d2c7a2783.pngimg3.png.1c51e17dbbc456562f8c6d2c167e6685.pngimg2.png.7d9feaa6375c046d42dce26e2ac2076f.png

3. Where in the ACP is an actual link to the SQL toolbox? I have spent two hours searching and cannot find a link anywhere, including the support page, to the SQL toolbox.

4. When permissions are set with only allowed what is shown below, why does the user's ACP have access to nothing but the dashboard as shown in the last, larger image? That user can access SQL Toolbox through a direct link if the URL is known but otherwise nothing is otherwise shown to them.

img5.png.b9992b17d3bb8ed29bff30f1700566b6.pngimg4.png.45e9657e6205d55c56d60515c4d543bd.pngimg1.png.55f3673750159a3fdac6dd8d2c7a2783.pngimg2.png.7d9feaa6375c046d42dce26e2ac2076f.pngimg3.png.1c51e17dbbc456562f8c6d2c167e6685.png

img6.thumb.png.69cbd843a6cbcf03c985c3eb54dd76c5.png

Thank you for your time and any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Austin Headley
Formatting

I’m not aware of a comprehensive list of each permission. 

However to answer your questions…

• The messenger option controls allowing someone to edit the default permissions for notifications. (Email, push notifications) and allows an admin to specify if a member can edit their own settings from the default.  
  • The mobile app settings are no longer used.  I assume you’re not running the latest version of IPB as that option would not appear any longer in the new versions of the software.  
  • Logs/Settings/Diagnostic tools all apply I believe to the resources in the support section.  
  • Regarding permissions… there are more permissions to grant than what you showed in your screen shot.  Check along the top as there should be things like Forums, Converters, and options for other apps you might have like Commerce and Pages.  It might be worth upgrading to the latest version and then checking to see what permissions you have available to grant a limited admin has changed also. 

One question I might pose is what are you wanting someone to be able to do in the AdmincCP specifically?  It might be easier to approach helping that way.  

7 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

I’m not aware of a comprehensive list of each permission. 

However to answer your questions…

• The messenger option controls allowing someone to edit the default permissions for notifications. (Email, push notifications) and allows an admin to specify if a member can edit their own settings from the default.  
  • The mobile app settings are no longer used.  I assume you’re not running the latest version of IPB as that option would not appear any longer in the new versions of the software.  
  • Logs/Settings/Diagnostic tools all apply I believe to the resources in the support section.  
  • Regarding your question of where the SQL toolbox is at…. A direct URL is yourdomain.com/admin/?app=core&module=support&controller=sql — You can find it from the Admin CP and in the upper right hand side of the window clicking Support.  On the right side of that page should be a box with diagnostic tools.  One of those diagnostic tools is the SQL toolbox.  
  • Regarding permissions… there are more permissions to grant than what you showed in your screen shot.  Check along the top as there should be things like Forums, Converters, and options for other apps you might have like Commerce and Pages.  It might be worth upgrading to the latest version and then checking to see what permissions you have available to grant a limited admin has changed also. 

One question I might pose is what are you wanting someone to be able to do in the AdmincCP specifically?  It might be easier to approach helping that way.  

Thanks for taking the time to help!

This is a Community-in-the-Cloud server and says the version is 4.6.9. It was just set up a few short days ago.

As for the SQL toolbox, I can access it by the direct link, but for the life of me I cannot find an actual clickable link in the ACP anywhere. Below is a screenshot of the support page from an unrestricted admin view:

37203545_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.74b6c321a35ae01d3ad1bd88ce6729cd.png

As for what I am actually trying to do? Nothing at all really. In production I don't believe I would ever realistically give anyone permissions set up like this as anyone that can be trusted with access to the SQL toolbox can certainly be trusted with unrestricted ACP access.

I am simply new to this software and I am trying to learn and understand it and frankly the ACP permissions system feels kind of unpolished compared to the rest of the suite.

When I say unpolished, I mean for example, why does the setting with the red dot below control whether or not a user can see the support page at module=support&controlller=support even if all the other permissions are checked? If I give someone access to just the system logs under support (for example), my intuition would suggest that they would be able to access the support page, and then the system logs under the support page, but that is not the case as they do not have access to the support page to even access the system logs that they have access to.

509057104_Screenshot(12)_LI.jpg.6e2bfb292281649384ac7dcf6514798c.jpgIf "Can contact technical support?" is required to allow access to the settings below, then why are they not nested as such in the settings to make that clear to the admin user setting permissions?

I feel like I have to be missing some important details because it seems insane to me that such a powerful, well developed and maintained application would act in this way. Why have such a rich, customizable permissions system if you cannot individually assign permissions without reliance on other permissions {which is made clear no where to the person setting those permissions)

I understand that in practicality, this would never be an actual issue, but one of the selling points that made me go with this software was the advanced permissions system and it is making me very sad to run into issues like this.

• Solution
  1. Sorry, we do not have a comprehensive list of permissions. For ACP, they should match up directly to their counterparts in the ACP and deal with direct access to those settings/permissions. If you have any questions, please let us know.
  2. The mobile app appears to be a bug which I have reported internally. Thank you for bringing this up. Randy I believe answered the rest of these but please let us know if further questions.
  3. We do not recommend making direct SQL edits and only provide the SQL Toolbox to our self-hosted clients at this time. If you are looking to do something specific, please let us know what that is and we can try to find something for you or help you transfer to a self-hosted version where this is still not recommended but is capable.
  4. As you are on Cloud, there may be some items, such as the SQL Toolbox which are available in permissions but hidden/restricted due to the Cloud platform itself. Other things, such as Redis, aren't necessarily something our Cloud customer need to worry about either as our system handles that. I have made a note on this as well for us to review this. Thank you for your feedback!

On 1/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, Jim M said:
  1. Sorry, we do not have a comprehensive list of permissions. For ACP, they should match up directly to their counterparts in the ACP and deal with direct access to those settings/permissions. If you have any questions, please let us know.
  2. The mobile app appears to be a bug which I have reported internally. Thank you for bringing this up. Randy I believe answered the rest of these but please let us know if further questions.
  3. We do not recommend making direct SQL edits and only provide the SQL Toolbox to our self-hosted clients at this time. If you are looking to do something specific, please let us know what that is and we can try to find something for you or help you transfer to a self-hosted version where this is still not recommended but is capable.
  4. As you are on Cloud, there may be some items, such as the SQL Toolbox which are available in permissions but hidden/restricted due to the Cloud platform itself. Other things, such as Redis, aren't necessarily something our Cloud customer need to worry about either as our system handles that. I have made a note on this as well for us to review this. Thank you for your feedback!

Thanks Jim, that answers my curiosity. None of this has any actual effect on the production environment of my community so no biggie and I appreciate you submitting my input for review.