Since 4.6.8 update quote selection, delete post, new posts

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

in chrome and safari, fairly plain vanilla install, worked fine, not in chrome and safari

new post in thread notification box solid black

920137098_nowpostsboxblankchromeandsafari.jpg.e0f99f0daa65d96b1d849790d4b09a43.jpg

quote selection dialog box shows underline symbol - works if I click it?

1639855243_quoteselectionblankchromesafari.thumb.jpg.965ba7d23da2d499fca9c5d786b97c53.jpg

Delete post dialog box no text, but does delete if I click blue box on left

1289578463_deletepostdialogboxblankchromesafari.thumb.jpg.c0a6ba7fabf4ecaf2001f93cc5a8cfab.jpg

Kind of just waiting for an update to the update as I assumed it's not just me, but if it is....? I am not fond of new support area in admin. No more "I'm having problem option". Not happy with forced move to InnoDB removing my ability to use phpAdmin to check database or fix it easily either. Mine is now in mixed state, some Inno, some not, but am afraid to convert the rest as I have had corruption issues since last few updates, and only phpAdmin has saved the day. In general I've always run with updates over time, but kind of thinking I should have stayed put and stable a year ago.

Unfortunately, this would likely indicate that there is some corruption or issues with your language pack as you're missing text in many different areas. Do you have a modified language pack? You mentioned the database issues, do you have any outlined in ACP -> Support?

On 11/11/2021 at 12:09 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Before anything else, please go to the same area mentioned by my colleague above and click on clear cache. I have seen this happen previously when cache has not correctly written

OK, I cleared the cache, and problems fixed. Thanks! Interesting that the cache stays in this state for days on end. Note to self, clear cache after updates. Thanks again for an easy fix to this one Marc.

AS far as the database, I've been with Invision for quite a few years now. I ran a handful of mods in the past, but got tired of the dog chasing tail aspect introduced by updats breaking mods, which then needed updates...... so I pared it back to four small mods

Stop Shouting in Topic Titles Enabled 1.0.2 Custom  
By Adriano Faria

(TB) Bump Up Topics Enabled 3.0.3 Marketplace  
By Terabyte

Enhanced Joined Date Enabled 13.0.0 Marketplace  
By All Astronauts

Change Post Date Enabled 1.0.4 Marketplace  
By Adriano Faria

Somewhere along the ay you guys decided to shift over to InnoDB and about half of my database was converted to InnoDB via an update I assume (nothing I did directly) but a number of tables are still non-InnoDB, and I get this warning.

"InnoDB database tables typically perform more efficiently and reliably than other database engines such as MyISAM on most modern hosts when configured correctly. It is strongly encouraged to ensure all of your database tables are using the InnoDB storage engine, and that your hosting provider has configured MySQL for InnoDB use.

The biggie is core-sessions. Now for whatever reason, I have had a half dozen major meltdowns in core_sessions in the last 18 months, resulting in going fully offline. This is not something that was happening earlier and in general my installation has been stable over the years. Then I assume an update changed something, and I get repeated meltdowns. All that got me out of it was repairing core-sessions with phpMyAdmin. This has made me not want to ask my service to convert the rest of the database, as I am unfamiliar with how to repair InnoDB, and it seems it takes that ability out of my hands. I know just enough about this stuff to muddle through - I'm not a wizard by any means. However, I've not had a corruption issue now since July, and maybe it's time for me to take the plunge and have the rest of the database converted over, which I assume my provider can do for me. But at that point, if core-sessions corrupts again, well, I'm not sure what to do but ask for help from my provider or you guys.

Steve Herschbach

You would really need to speak to your hosting provider about that. Nothing in code can really crash or corrupt a table, unless there is an issue with the mysql setup itself. INNODB is something we have recommended for quite a long time. Its always been recommended on 4.x and actually for quite some time even before that point

Yeah. Just from a user perspective, I must say we often get the software folks pointing at the service provider, in my case Pair, not a low rent outfit, but one of the oldest and best in the business. They of course point back at the software vendors, leaving me, the customer, with very little to hang my hat on.

It's a communication thing. I do not visit this website unless I have to. I do not read every line or even much about your updates. I just want my site to run, I apply updates when they show up after a few days, just in case. I'm not an "expert", but I've done websites and such since 1998 on a daily basis, so I'm not a complete idiot either. So while I appreciate that from your perspective INNODB is old hat, it's not something that your customer contact messaging made a standout issue, something focused on to the point I took notice of it. All I know is I have a database that is half and half, and I did nothing to make that happen. I'm sure an empty mysql database never corrupts, and that software manipulating the database is part of the package that results in problems.

My issue was and is real. I have an old IC installation that has suffered years of use, some mods installed and removed over the years, many updates, and who knows the exact state of the thing. All I know is my website and server run nothing else, and being the customer with two providers, stuck in the middle, with no real answers, gets frustrating.

I'm not complaining. I am retired due to running a very successful retail business I founded in high school. You guys do a great job, but do remember loyal customers like me are also people with busy lives, we don't live and breath your software, and simply want to pay for something that works. In my case, I never quibble over money, and am always happy to pay for help if needed. You guys should offer an extra hired gun service for $100 an hour or more to go in and take care of issues for people like me. Make the cost high to keep the workload low, but there for people with deep wallets, and a nice boost to somebodies pay. Just a suggestion.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Steve Herschbach

Edited by Steve Herschbach

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

t's a communication thing. I do not visit this website unless I have to. I do not read every line or even much about your updates. I just want my site to run, I apply updates when they show up after a few days, just in case. I'm not an "expert", but I've done websites and such since 1998 on a daily basis, so I'm not a complete idiot either. So while I appreciate that from your perspective INNODB is old hat, it's not something that your customer contact messaging made a standout issue, something focused on to the point I took notice of it. All I know is I have a database that is half and half, and I did nothing to make that happen. I'm sure an empty mysql database never corrupts, and that software manipulating the database is part of the package that results in problems.

I'm not complaining. I am retired due to running a very successful retail business I founded in high school. You guys do a great job, but do remember loyal customers like me are also people with busy lives, we don't live and breath your software, and simply want to pay for something that works. In my case, I never quibble over money, and am always happy to pay for help if needed. You guys should offer an extra hired gun service for $100 an hour or more to go in and take care of issues for people like me. Make the cost high to keep the workload low, but there for people with deep wallets, and a nice boost to somebodies pay. Just a suggestion.

I am sorry you had issues which corrupted the database but generally, this comes from server-level issues, such as an improper shutdown of the server or corruption at the storage level which is outside our control at the software-level. Self-hosting is really self-managed, it really is up to you and your server administrator/hosting provider to research the ins and outs of the software/server you are running to ensure it is in working, optimal order. This really is not for everyone, as you mentioned, and our solution for us taking this on for you is our Cloud. If you want something that "just works", my simple recommendation would be to switch to our Cloud as we take on the hosting struggles for you and this will not happen moving forward. I am happy to open a discussion for you with one of our Sales personnel to see if this is the correct fit?