MySQL DB is too high (forums_posts) - Archiving not helping

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Hey everyone. I tried everything I could think of within my tech limit. Normally I'd like to create a support ticket first, but I need to get this resolved ASAP before hosting jumps in (was given 3 days to sort, and today is day 2 or 3).

My SQL Databases are allowed up to 1,000 MB per Database. I am at 1,391 MB for my forums database, and most of this is due to forums_posts, which is 712.7MB (next closest is core_achievements_log at 147.8 MB).

I setup archiving in a remote database, thinking it would take care of the issue. It's supposed to archive 64% of posts with the parameters I set, but only 8.1 MB moved the remote database. No matter what I tweak, nothing is changing in terms of filesize in the DB.

Any other assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fam!

Archiving would happen in the background. If you are running background tasks based off of traffic, it could well be these are not moving due to lack of traffic. You can try to change this to CRON by going to ACP -> System -> Advanced Configuration.

Ideally though, our recommendation here would be to move to a hosting provider that does not limit your databases to be this small. In due time, you will quickly reach a point where you need to archive more content and more content, etc... 

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Archiving would happen in the background. If you are running background tasks based off of traffic, it could well be these are not moving due to lack of traffic. You can try to change this to CRON by going to ACP -> System -> Advanced Configuration.

Ideally though, our recommendation here would be to move to a hosting provider that does not limit your databases to be this small. In due time, you will quickly reach a point where you need to archive more content and more content, etc... 

Thank you for the response @Jim M. I did have the Task Method as Run Automatically, which should be enough based on traffic, but I enabled it via cron (every minute) a few hours ago to hopefully get things moving, but it didn't make a difference.

I started the archiving yesterday and it hasn't budged in about 24 hours, so I'm thinking something is holding it up, somewhere.

And I'll likely be moving to a dedicated server in the next few months, so that won't be an issue for long. But archiving should take care of it for the time being. 8.1MB out of 700+ seems very low, considering the high percentage of posts that are supposed to get archived.

If you'd like to update your access details in the Client Area, I can take a quick look to see if everything is OK. The idea too behind these tasks are to move slowly enough to not bring your site down too but if they haven't moved any in 24 hours, something may be wrong.

Just now, DDMike said:

The hosting isn't bad (Siteground's GoGeek plan). Just a technical holdup for now. 

Sorry but I disagree! having a database limit of 1000mb is low! and you are having to try and cut that back to save space which will only impact your forum 

I have cut my forum back only to get rid of some junk and I am at 3gb database size! 

To grow your forum you need space to grow 

1 hour ago, stu_m said:

Sorry but I disagree! having a database limit of 1000mb is low! and you are having to try and cut that back to save space which will only impact your forum 

I have cut my forum back only to get rid of some junk and I am at 3gb database size! 

To grow your forum you need space to grow 

Hey @stu_m, any recommendations you have that I can look into once I outgrow this host? And are you on shared hosting or dedicated?

Thanks again!

We would need to know which site it is you are referring to on this one. I would say however, while we can check any issues you believe there may be with archiving, running out of space is fundamentally a hosting problem. If you are very limited on space there, you should be looking to get more suitable hosting. If thats something you dont wish to concern yourself with at all, it may be worth looking at our cloud options. We would be happy to discuss your requirements if required on that

https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

20 hours ago, DDMike said:

Hey @stu_m, any recommendations you have that I can look into once I outgrow this host? And are you on shared hosting or dedicated?

Thanks again!

If your database is is already being cut down now to fit then I would say you have outgrown it already 

Sorry I can't recommend anyone as I'm on a VPS and have been for a fair few years now! 

I have heard Krystal is good if you're in the UK 

• Solution

I have just logged in there, and there are a couple of items of note.

First of all, you need to address your tasks not running, as shown in the bar at the top of the page. If these are not running, then cleanup tasks are also not running.

The second item is that you have errors being repeatidly logged relating to chatbox. I would suggest disabling that, or contacting the author of a resolution to that issue.

Other than that though, it looks like you have simply outgrown the hosting you are currently using

On 10/18/2021 at 3:36 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

I have just logged in there, and there are a couple of items of note.

First of all, you need to address your tasks not running, as shown in the bar at the top of the page. If these are not running, then cleanup tasks are also not running.

The second item is that you have errors being repeatidly logged relating to chatbox. I would suggest disabling that, or contacting the author of a resolution to that issue.

Other than that though, it looks like you have simply outgrown the hosting you are currently using

Thank you for looking into it and the prompt support. I disabled the chatbox temporarily and will take a look at that, so thank you for pointing that out.

As for outgrowing the host, I switched to their VPS - Cloud hosting, so I'm squared away in terms of resources. It's a pricey jump, but necessary for now as I look for another host next year.

As for the tasks not running, I worked through it with the host and it seems to be squared away, now. A few notes in-case it comes up in the future:
1. I use SiteGround as my host, and their shared plans do not allow alterations to variables such as execution time, so the Cron script won't work with their shared plans.
2. Even once on their cloud hosting, I was receiving errors with the cron task method. The reason being is the PHP Binary didn't work, and needs to be PHP-CLI with Siteground.

So instead of:

usr/local/php74/bin/php

The cron task had to start with:

usr/local/php74/bin/php-cli

Hopefully this can help someone else in the future, as well. You can mark this as resolved as we're squared away. Thanks again for taking the time to take a look.

Edited by DDMike