IPS 4.6 works with MariaDB 10.1?

Hi guys!

I'm in the process of moving my IPS community to a shiny new VPS.

I was about to start the move today, but in the last minute, when I asked the hosting company which MySQL version they support (to ensure it will work with IPS 4.6), they told me that they have MariaDB 10.1. They say, this is the same as MySQL 5.6. However, I never heard of MariaDB before. I did a bit of research, but I'm still a bit confused.

Is it safe and ok to use IPS with MariaDB 10.1? Any cons, problems or challenges I can expect? Any comments on this?
I have IPS 4.3.3 now on my old server and planning to upgrade to latest IPS 4.6 version as soon as I move to the new VPS.

Would appreciate your help!

28 minutes ago, estan said:

Thank you for your reply, @Marc Stridgen! I did some further research and I noticed in the forum there are multiple posts of people using MariaDB. So, at first look, it seems it would be safe to use it. 

Any plans by chance to support MariaDB officially in the near future?

We would not likely prevent support as long as you are using one that is a drop in replacement for a high enough MySQL version in any case. I have not seen an instance where we have not provided support because of a MariaDB instance, unless its specifically behind those MySQL equivalents. I actually use it myself on most of my own instances

2 hours ago, estan said:

Is it safe and ok to use IPS with MariaDB 10.1? Any cons, problems or challenges I can expect? Any comments on this?

You will get this warning in AdminCP, that you will not be able to solve:

screenshot-2021_10.11-20_52_48.thumb.png.3aac5d919c29b26ed04feb08fddaa568.png

But it will NOT affect IPS really. Just annoying. The dynamic row format is available starting wit MariaDB 10.2 and higher.

2 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

You will get this warning in AdminCP, that you will not be able to solve:

screenshot-2021_10.11-20_52_48.thumb.png.3aac5d919c29b26ed04feb08fddaa568.png

But it will NOT affect IPS really. Just annoying. The dynamic row format is available starting wit MariaDB 10.2 and higher.

Hmm, I'm on 10.3, I don't see that warning.  Also, never had an issue updating.