Non ASCII characters in URLs (transliteration) yes or no?

Hi guys,

I'm having this question and I can't seem to make a decision should or shouldn't I use non latin characters in URLS?

I mean I watched a google video saying that search engines pretty much dont care if links are like: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/504-dėvęlopėr-čonnectįon

But how is it in real life? For example wordpress makes the transliteration to ascii characters. always. I looked at sitemaps of the biggest news sites in my country and all of their links are transliterated to ascii characters. If it makes no difference then why they do that? why wordpress does that?

I get one reason why - perhaps sharing URLs in social media and elsewhere becomes a bit of a nightmare - since you get %E3%82%A2-like characters all over the place. But besides is that cosmetic issue is the only one?

Can't seem to make my mind up.

What caused IPS to make a decision to leave UTF8 characters intact while wordpress transliterated them?

can't decide fred armisen GIF by IFC

29 minutes ago, Maxxius said:

I get one reason why - perhaps sharing URLs in social media and elsewhere becomes a bit of a nightmare - since you get %E3%82%A2-like characters all over the place. But besides is that cosmetic issue is the only one?

This. When I see something go to _https://example.com/2-%E3%82%A2 it looks like spam for me. It looks dirty, it looks not serious for me. I cannot read, what this %E3%82%A2 mean, something harmful, something inappropriate? I believe it makes no difference for SEO though as Wikipedia uses it. 

On 4/28/2021 at 7:02 AM, Maxxius said:

What caused IPS to make a decision to leave UTF8 characters intact while wordpress transliterated them?

There is no right or wrong way. It’s a veeeeeery long transition period and providers have do decide whether they want to push forward or play it safe. 
This includes the example of posted links like %E3%82%A2- . The providers where you still see that will also sooner or later move over to links that don’t use URL-encoding anymore.