cloudfront setup guide

• Management

Thanks for posting!

Unfortunately, this issue is beyond the scope of our technical support. 👩‍💻

Our technical support is happy to help you with the Invision Community platform, but we're unable to help with things like server management, theme questions and modifications.

I've moved this to our Community Support area where other Invision Community owners will see it and help where they can.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Thanks for posting!

Unfortunately, this issue is beyond the scope of our technical support. 👩‍💻

Our technical support is happy to help you with the Invision Community platform, but we're unable to help with things like server management, theme questions and modifications.

I've moved this to our Community Support area where other Invision Community owners will see it and help where they can.

Scope perhaps for a new offering? I've always thought downloads was too restrictive. If it was expanded to include services then perhaps one of the many experienced pros on here could offer service and maintenance contracts, which might incorporate initial setup of Cloudfront, Cloudflare, Caching, S3 etc. I appreciate these services can be requested elsewhere, but nothing quite like seeing them as a confidence inspiring, formal, client rated, offering.

edit: added confidence inspiring.

Edited by christopher-w

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, The Dark Wizard said:

Would it not be setup like any other CDN?

System > Files > Storage Settings > Configuration

Could contain: Text

Cloudfront is a CDN (meaning serving content from multiple locations around the world to have static content such as images and stylesheets closer to the end user).  S3 is actual file storage.  

Regarding Cloudfront, if you're using IPS hosting...  it's already using Cloudfront.  If you are self-hosted, it's more involved.  You need to setup an S3 bucket to store those static files, and get it configured...  then configure Cloudfront to use that S3 bucket as the origin.  

Even once you have CF setup, you need to evaluate your caching settings to figure out what should be cached and for how long, especially if you're going to use the CDN to serve theme files which get regenerated frequently.  (You don't want Cloudfront serving an old version of the JS files for example from cache when your board is expecting a different/changed version.)

Edited by Randy Calvert

2 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

There are a LOT of settings that would depend on your site.  Why don't we start with what don't you understand about it?  

It's an IPS website community. I still did not take time to check every setting. I looked for something here before.

If the site is hosted by IPS (meaning it's on the IPS cloud), Cloudfront is already setup by IPS and there is nothing you need to do.  It literally is already done.

If you're self-hosted, rather than do Cloudfront, I would suggest looking at Cloudflare.  You'll find it a MUCH MUCH easier integration.  Otherwise you're going to have to do a BUNCH of work, including potentially needing to setup SSL certificates, defending S3 buckets, configuring what content should be stored on S3, etc.  That's even before you get to the Cloudfront setup and figuring out your CORS settings and how long each type of content should be cached for.  

If you need a CDN, integration of Cloudflare will be a 1000% easier.  (Note...  anything custom you do such as adding a CDN, be it Cloudfront or Cloudflare is not officially supported by IPS.  So you might need to disable it for troubleshooting problems you might have as IPS does not troubleshoot your custom configurations.)

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

If you're self-hosted, rather than do Cloudfront, I would suggest looking at Cloudflare.  You'll find it a MUCH MUCH easier integration.  Otherwise you're going to have to do a BUNCH of work, including potentially needing to setup SSL certificates, defending S3 buckets, configuring what content should be stored on S3, etc.  That's even before you get to the Cloudfront setup and figuring out your CORS settings and how long each type of content should be cached for.  

I am moving from Cloudflare to Cloudfront. Now Cloudfront has an always free tier. I am already using AWS EC2, S3, RDS, EFS, Elastic Cache and Open Search.