How to use forum authentication?

6ichem

Hi, I'm trying to build something but I need it to use the forum's credentials for users. Per eg use the username/pwd used in the forum to authenticate on my app.

How can this be achieved? I can't find anything about it on the API and I can't understand how oauth works exactly. Thanks in advance

Edited by 6ichem

It's possible but it's pretty advanced. I am hiring someone on Upwork right now to implement that last part for me.

The end result will be a function where you enter the user name and password, and then you can use the whole Invision REST API, including user authentication.

What OS does your program run on?

48 minutes ago, Interferon said:

It's possible but it's pretty advanced. I am hiring someone on Upwork right now to implement that last part for me.

The end result will be a function where you enter the user name and password, and then you can use the whole Invision REST API, including user authentication.

What OS does your program run on?

Can you link me any docs or some instructions please? I'm pretty confident I can pull it off if I get some kind of directions where I should look

22 minutes ago, Interferon said:

I am still trying to figure this out, but this C# code from Google might help you:
https://google.github.io/google-api-cpp-client/latest/guide/oauth2.html

It might not be possible / desirable to do this. You have to do some weird stuff like an embedded web server.

After doing some googling I came across this 

You should check it out

That topic is from 2012 and references code from an older code base that is no longer relevant.

My recommendation is to use OAuth (as Interferon is doing) for this purpose. Our software can act as an OAuth client and an OAuth server, and supports different modes (grant types) for different purposes.