"Reactions" not working

Hey fam, I have been getting messages from multiple users saying the "Reactions" on posts aren't functioning properly for them. Some also can't see embeds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

They are on Android.

tried to "laugh" at several post and it automatically just hearts it without giving me the option to choose.

Videos still don't load either. I'm on android idk if that matters or helps you any.

1847678436_Screenshot_20201113-164616_Sa

Another user sees the reactions like this:

Screenshot-2020-11-13-at-23-03-58.png

It's happening on the default theme, too. No idea what to do. Any ideas? 

I just did a test on my forum, using my Android phone, and the reactions on my forum seem to be working fine. YouTube and photo embeds seem to be working fine also.

Did you try running the support tool to clear the cache? Not sure if that would help at all.

Also, I just visited your forum on my Android phone, reactions and embeds appear fine, and are working.

Edited by SC36DC

17 hours ago, SC36DC said:

I just did a test on my forum, using my Android phone, and the reactions on my forum seem to be working fine. YouTube and photo embeds seem to be working fine also.

Did you try running the support tool to clear the cache? Not sure if that would help at all.

Also, I just visited your forum on my Android phone, reactions and embeds appear fine, and are working.

Appreciate you checking things out! I also don't see any of these errors 😩 That's what is so difficult to pinpoint. I'm not even sure where to begin!

4 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Appreciate you checking things out! I also don't see any of these errors 😩 That's what is so difficult to pinpoint. I'm not even sure where to begin!

Could it somehow be specific the device, or Android version? How many of your members using Android devices are experiencing this issue? Maybe they need to update their browser, it could also be the browser they are using? Let me try again on my phone with different browsers.

Samsung Internet
Post embeds are not displaying, Reaction button not working.

620413472_Screenshot_20201114-131044_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1d649d3ff22e1737327bf366c578360d.jpg

Firefox
Post embeds are working, Reaction button works. Mobile navigation bar at bottom, icons appear too big.

Screenshot_20201114-131207_Firefox.thumb.jpg.edc266b1676bddf226155190e1ff045c.jpg

Chrome
Post embeds are working, Reaction button works.

Screenshot_20201114-131458_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6e7325fe6a5b36ef616115bb704fe11f.jpg

19 hours ago, SC36DC said:

Samsung Internet
Post embeds are not displaying, Reaction button not working.

620413472_Screenshot_20201114-131044_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1d649d3ff22e1737327bf366c578360d.jpg

Firefox
Post embeds are working, Reaction button works. Mobile navigation bar at bottom, icons appear too big.

Screenshot_20201114-131207_Firefox.thumb.jpg.edc266b1676bddf226155190e1ff045c.jpg

Chrome
Post embeds are working, Reaction button works.

Screenshot_20201114-131458_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6e7325fe6a5b36ef616115bb704fe11f.jpg

Wow!! Thank you so much for this!! 

I'm not sure how to proceed though 😩 

19 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I'd suggest the typical turn everything off suggestion.  I often find it is a setting / mod causing the issue.  The easiest way is to use the Something Isn't Working option and let it turn everything off.  If that fixes it, then turn on one at a time until you find the culprit.

I feel you. I just am not sure how to go about it because nothing is broken for me. I'll see if any of the members can jump on a chat. 

11 hours ago, Paul E. said:

Don't forget the cancer that is your advertising. That may be interfering in some way.

Interesting perspective. I don't agree that the advertising is a "cancer." It's allowed me to run my community full time. But I get what you're saying 😉

3 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Wow!! Thank you so much for this!! 

I'm not sure how to proceed though 😩 

I feel you. I just am not sure how to go about it because nothing is broken for me. I'll see if any of the members can jump on a chat. 

Interesting perspective. I don't agree that the advertising is a "cancer." It's allowed me to run my community full time. But I get what you're saying 😉

Advertising makes the world go around.

19 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

You the only admin?  Do you have someone you trust that you could make an admin?  Let them try it.

I hopped on Skype with a member and we went through everything one by one until (we think) we narrowed it down. I'm still trying to confirm it was a particular application. What a process 😩 

Side note: I miss Instagram embeds.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:22 AM, breatheheavy said:

I don't agree that the advertising is a "cancer."

Advertising is not a cancer. It helps offset costs for many of us.

However, the advertising on your site seems, at least as a guest, to be heavily modifying the content of the pages beyond what you likely intend or accounted for. This implementation of advertising, as it exists on the linked site, is a bit cancerous. It, like a cancer, overgrows its natural boundaries, is malignant to its environment, and spreads in such a way that it may be an impacting factor here.

Maybe not an issue for the target audience, and the feedback is not intended as a criticism or reflection on your decisions to monetize in this fashion, yet as you try to rule out what's going on, I'd test it with advertising disabled and on the default theme to see if the issues persist. Anything else is a stab in the dark. We don't know what's getting injected to load all those videos, popups, and other elements, nor where they are originating from.

On the standard theme, and on the theme here on this site, I don't see any issues with the ability to use reactions on a variety of mobile browsers.

Something additional in your implementation is likely the issue, whether that be a plugin/application, custom theme issue, or content inserted into the DOM by your ad networks, or some conflicting combination therein.

47 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Advertising is not a cancer. It helps offset costs for many of us.

However, the advertising on your site seems, at least as a guest, to be heavily modifying the content of the pages beyond what you likely intend or accounted for. This implementation of advertising, as it exists on the linked site, is a bit cancerous. It, like a cancer, overgrows its natural boundaries, is malignant to its environment, and spreads in such a way that it may be an impacting factor here.

Maybe not an issue for the target audience, and the feedback is not intended as a criticism or reflection on your decisions to monetize in this fashion, yet as you try to rule out what's going on, I'd test it with advertising disabled and on the default theme to see if the issues persist. Anything else is a stab in the dark. We don't know what's getting injected to load all those videos, popups, and other elements, nor where they are originating from.

On the standard theme, and on the theme here on this site, I don't see any issues with the ability to use reactions on a variety of mobile browsers.

Something additional in your implementation is likely the issue, whether that be a plugin/application, custom theme issue, or content inserted into the DOM by your ad networks, or some conflicting combination therein.

I hear you. Unfortunately, the bugs are happening to subscribers as well. Subscribers on my site don't see ads 😕 

I'm assuming this must be plugin/application related. It's been difficult narrowing it down thus far 🤦🏼‍♂️ 

Edited by breatheheavy

So I wasn't having problems but looking to see what errors could potentially be causing other browsers issues. Mind you I have some very stringent ad blockers on my PC so sifting through some of the errors are a little difficult but I think that some of your javascript is being loaded out of order.

The only error I'm getting that isn't related to blocked ads is that there is a reference error which normally means a piece of javascript is loading before something important that its referencing is set. I unfortunately couldn't tell you which. The only way I can troubleshoot something like this is to remove javascript until it works right. Obviously, you also need to reliably duplicate it to be able to figure out the offending script.