Speedy Search and Stream Results

4.0.0 submitted. Description in the MP will be updated post-approval. For now though, you can get all the new info here. It was a nice squirrel I think you will agree.

• UPDATE! Searchlight marking code enhanced; should prevent most double-marks which break formatting and navigation.
  • NEW! Searchlight option to apply Searchlight highlights to content titles in addition to content areas.
  • NEW! MORE Searchlight settings for altering appearance of Searchlight highlights and the side page mark navigator.
  • NEW! Setting for jump speed between Searchlight marks when using the navigator.
  • UPDATE! Searchlight side page mark navigator now larger. Easier for navigation on mobile.
  • NEW FEATURE! Select-a-Search! Piggy-backs on the highlight-to-quote popup to instead run a search on the selected text! As individual terms or complete phrase!
  • REMOVED! Navigation on the Searchlight marks themselves; neat but too much noise.

selectasearch.JPG.c103e400023997bd9dba7ef96b1e7144.JPG

Does what it sez.

As for the rest, Searchlight double-marks which break navigation and so on should be mostly a thing of the past now.

The Searchlight nav has been embiggened and you can customize the color and icon/text colors.

searchlightnav.JPG.aff7a3d85b0be07d47af1b90738c108e.JPG

Jump speed between marks is whatever you would like it to be instead of the leisurely default you had before. 

Yep. That about covers it.

2 hours ago, All Astronauts said:

4.0.0 submitted. Description in the MP will be updated post-approval. For now though, you can get all the new info here. It was a nice squirrel I think you will agree.

• UPDATE! Searchlight marking code enhanced; should prevent most double-marks which break formatting and navigation.
  • NEW! Searchlight option to apply Searchlight highlights to content titles in addition to content areas.
  • NEW! MORE Searchlight settings for altering appearance of Searchlight highlights and the side page mark navigator.
  • NEW! Setting for jump speed between Searchlight marks when using the navigator.
  • UPDATE! Searchlight side page mark navigator now larger. Easier for navigation on mobile.
  • NEW FEATURE! Select-a-Search! Piggy-backs on the highlight-to-quote popup to instead run a search on the selected text! As individual terms or complete phrase!
  • REMOVED! Navigation on the Searchlight marks themselves; neat but too much noise.

selectasearch.JPG.c103e400023997bd9dba7ef96b1e7144.JPG

Does what it sez.

As for the rest, Searchlight double-marks which break navigation and so on should be mostly a thing of the past now.

The Searchlight nav has been embiggened and you can customize the color and icon/text colors.

searchlightnav.JPG.aff7a3d85b0be07d47af1b90738c108e.JPG

Jump speed between marks is whatever you would like it to be instead of the leisurely default you had before. 

Yep. That about covers it.

Looks go looking forward to the new version.

It's live now. I've got more in the hopper and have already made some enhancements/options locally so it won't be too too long before 5 drops. I've got another search thing that hasn't seen the light of day here that I might finish out and add on - if that occurs it'll be another 5 or 10 to the buy and a bump in renews - just fyi for the window shoppers (if it happens, won;t be v5)

Enjoy.

selectasearch.gif.a07182b6992176d3799c401498796680.gif

On 2/3/2021 at 12:40 PM, All Astronauts said:

It's live now. I've got more in the hopper and have already made some enhancements/options locally so it won't be too too long before 5 drops. I've got another search thing that hasn't seen the light of day here that I might finish out and add on - if that occurs it'll be another 5 or 10 to the buy and a bump in renews - just fyi for the window shoppers (if it happens, won;t be v5)

Enjoy.

selectasearch.gif.a07182b6992176d3799c401498796680.gif

I'm wondering does this enhancement work with quick search?

If you mean the Searchlight functionality coming from clicking those autocomplete links, then no, as the terms for Searchlight marking are pulled from the search results form, and this plugin is giving you results you click directly to right there. So Searchlight would have nothing to mark out. If you ignored those auto-complete suggestions and went on through to the usual search results, then the marking would work.

Other than that, nothing there interferes with anything I'm doing.

Hi, I've just installed this plug-in and have to say it looks amazingly well featured and sophisticated – and it's gonna take me some time to get my head round it.

I'm gonna make a feature request already – although you'll probably tell me that it's there already and I missed it!

When you're scrolling down the various search terms using the arrows on the right, might it be possible for the next search term to be displayed in a different colour which then reverts to the normal highlight when you want to the next one.
At the moment, they all seem to be displaying in bright yellow and if you have three or four of the search terms on the same page, you can't be really certain which one you are focusing on.

Secondly, at the moment I don't understand "select a search" and I'm not sure that it's working – even though it switched on in the admin CP.

My forum is www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk.

Thanks

Plugin settings... 😀

As for the second ask, select text in a comment area, that's in a topic basically. Where you normally would see just a quote popup when you release your mouse button after selecting the text, SSSR adds on search options.  Make sure you have that enabled, again, plugin settings, looks like it isn't turned on.

Edited by All Astronauts

– Whoops!, Yes of course – plug-in settings.

Sorry, it's just that the two yellows were so similar that I missed it.

I changed one of the yellows to something rather more different and I can see it working now.

Sorry to have bothered you on that one.

Also, I see that the select search is working. I suppose that I expected the mouse pointer to change shape or something or else the text to change when it was hovered over.

Further apologies!

It looks really great. Might it be possible for the mouse cursor to change when it hovers over the highlighted text – or something else to give people a clue because I can expect lots of people will miss it

That's an IPS built in feature I'm piggy backing on - and also, I'm not getting it to fire on my end on your site right now.

Are you sure you are seeing this when you select text in a topic: 

selectasearch.gif.a07182b6992176d3799c401498796680.gif.2d745c7a43ec2f228b5570fb2ddda166.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah, since I'm not logged in I can't comment so that feature won't work for me. I'll have to mention that in the description

Edited by All Astronauts

I'm seeing the text highlighted – but the colour doesn't animate over the text in the way that yours does. 

You have to double click the word in question and then it produces a static highlight in the usual way with the three options – quote/search/search as phrase appearing underneath in the way that yours does.

Actually I think it's working fine. It's simply that I hadn't understood – and to my embarrassment, this is the first time I realised that even on the standard Invision platform, if you double-click a word it invites you to "quote selection"!

Edited by BankFodder

Thanks for that.

I'm afraid that over the years our database has been hacked so many times either because of opportunists – or very often ill wishers – that we have had a hard job with major email providers.

As it happens, a few years ago the FBI arrested a hacker in the US and when they looked in his computer, they found that he had been given a contract by a British debt collection agency to take us down.

The boss of the debt collection agency was arrested by the British police and later on pleaded guilty.

I have to say that the whole thing was a bit of a nuisance – although I was rather flattered and I took it as a sign that what we were doing was worthwhile!  😈

Edited by BankFodder
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up there is another update coming through in a few days. The CURRENT changelog is this:

• NEW! When a search is NOT a termed (quoted) search, Searchlight will still attempt to mark the entire query out as a single entity, in addition to each word individually.
  • NEW! In addition to the above, when a not-termed (quoted) full query match is found, Searchlight will jump to the first occurrence of that match, instead of the first word match.
  • NEW! Selecta-a-Search links now formattable for background and text colors to differentiate them from the quote link.
  • NEW! Active marks now have scaling option. Increase the size of the active mark for better vis!
  • NEW! You now have a choice of previous/next icons for the Searchlight side-page navigator
  • NEW! Searchlight side-page navigator on desktop view is heavily faded until hovered-over/interacted with. Tablet and mobile views remain full opacity.
  • UPDATE! Remove duplicate terms provided by IPS search functions so there are fewer duplicated marking iterations on content items.
  • UPDATE! Various CSS tweaks, single mark Searchlight side-page navigator now pulse animated, etc...

I'm still poking it. On some super large content pages - either a page that has 25 posts and they are all massive blocks of text, or maybe a Pages DB entry that is basically book-length text, if you have a single mark on the page, on initial page load the mark doesn't quite scroll into view and I *think* its either due to the JavaScript outstripping the browser load speed (but this is running on Document.ready so...) or there is something else quite not right. I'm not sure I'll be tracking this down anytime soon, and of course one just hits that target button to jump there anyways so... Always something.

1.thumb.PNG.80c1df4e4ab8f90e12074fba2b3b4a77.PNG

The first two bullets, I can see an ask there. When you have a full match to a query, either due to the new change I just made to catch it when not a termed search, or when it actually is a termed (quoted) search, if on the page there is more than one match for that, the marking routine will still hit the first occurrence, even if by chance the result you clicked on the results page was an instance of it in another post further down the page. I can see a path forward for that, at least for commenting instances which is the main hitch, but it will probably be awhile before I swing around and try dealing with it.

2.PNG.0c219f3ff2af650c35c04963f1a14cce.PNG

I think I'll also option in the debug bottom page rail for those of you who want to see what's going on and to see what is and isn't being marked out when you change options. I call it the debug line but it's more like the initial push for the "more details" flyout I have sketched out for the navigator. Either way I'll have it set for no, admins only, or everyone, so your call.

3.PNG.65493adfc983b94235a80431c3cf503d.PNG

4.thumb.PNG.6b3797eb19f40b98425ac153278b3fd9.PNG

(Screenshots just planted wherever in post fyi)

Edited by All Astronauts
  • 3 weeks later...

Doing some more poking on and off over the last few weeks. Got some new display options in-bound for the search results page. Mostly just to put the focus on results, and less on the extraneous information. Nothing massively transformative (tempted but that means new templates and more hooks all around...) but you'll probably like them.

Also took another, deeper, look into the IPS truncating results with 4.5, specifically the search JS, and that 600 character max-trim on the PHP side ends up mostly being 300 characters and change on the display side after the marking function works it over, in case any one was wondering why all the results end up being two lines of text usually. So... blah. It means a JS mixin that overrides one of the search results JS functions to get around this and bring more flex back into play. Maybe, but not sure this will be the next release or not.

As mentioned much, much, earlier, the reason for missing marks on the results page is that initial 600 character truncate as they only take the first 600 characters of the content item whether the search result is in it or not. SSSR took care of most of that by pre-finding the matching bit but there were still some misses being pushed out. Found the (obvious) hitch and I'll try and get that patched up for next release and voila - should have marks on every result going forward.

• 5 months later...

V6 inbound pending approval:

• TWEAK! Debug footer CSS to ensure full width across page bottom.
  • NEW! Toggle to turn marks on/off on content pages. Will also toggle the debug feature if enabled.
  • NEW! English stopwords filtered out of marking (full term exceptioned out of course). These are the Lucene defaults: "a", "an", "and", "are", "as", "at", "be", "but", "by", "for", "if", "in", "into", "is", "it", "no", "not", "of", "on", "or", "such", "that", "the", "their", "then", "there", "these", "they", "this", "to", "was", "will", "with"
  • RESTORED! Stream truncation for perkier stream page loads. 

toggle.JPG.77bacaa24c216e9b6b4b9897035d1240.JPG

Click the wand, all the marks go away; click it again, all of them are back. As usual, if you refresh the page, all the searchlight stuff goes away - no changes there at all.

The stopwords was needed for some time now to prevent the marking of, well, the usual junk. If you search for /this stupid thing/ OR a singular phrase /"this stupid thing"/, Searchlight will mark out:

"this stupid thing"
"stupid"
"thing"

and skip over individually flagging "this". Looking over the stop words above will give you and idea how much cleaning the marking will be now.

Also noticed IPS removed results truncation (by seeing the JS truncation on stream pages making massive page warps as all that content gets removed). This was a silent pull that happened I guess with 4.6 - 🤷‍♂️ - anyways, SSSR was still truncating on search results anyways to get better matching snippets (see previous update notes)  - that remains of course - but I just folded back in basic truncating when the results are meant for streams. Works nifty as usual.

Available whenever (also IPS is blowing things up here tomorrow so I wouldn't expect approval anytime soon)

Toodles.

Guru Studio Thank You GIF by True and the Rainbow Kingdom

• 2 months later...

Apologies for taking so long, I was watching an accident of a football game, simultaneously entertaining and horrible at the same time. Add this to your custom.css

#elSearch_main .ipsStreamItem_contentBlock:not( .ipsBox ) {
    box-shadow: var(--box--boxShadow);
    background: rgb( var(--theme-area_background_reset) );
}

You'll need to insert this on all your themes until I yank the SSSR css in an update.

As for your request. Do-able but also tricky depending on which way you approach it. You could null out the material getting into the search index at all pretty easily - it would require you to rebuild the search index on every change regarding what you want in the index. If you wanted to still have everything indexed but limit the results available that gets brutal real fast. I wouldn't want anything to do with that. Also you have the various search filters both in the quicksearch dropdown and the advanced search page - and that stuff would need dealing with. Blah.

I do have some stuff incoming for SSSR - mostly Social Search stuff moving over. It's only partially done, maybe by Xmas?

3 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

As for your request. Do-able but also tricky depending on which way you approach it. You could null out the material getting into the search index at all pretty easily - it would require you to rebuild the search index on every change regarding what you want in the index. If you wanted to still have everything indexed but limit the results available that gets brutal real fast. I wouldn't want anything to do with that. Also you have the various search filters both in the quicksearch dropdown and the advanced search page - and that stuff would need dealing with. Blah.

LOL....ok nevermind that.  Reindexing search is not a thing I am a fan of as I have finally got my Elastic Search working somewhat correct even-though it is v6.8...and it is more of a cosmetic thing to remove it from the quick search.

I figured it was something I needed to add to the theme...this tends to be a normal thing with IPS Focus themes.  Thanks for the quick reply will get on adding this to my themes.