Speedy Search and Stream Results

Unless you have a massively large site and a horribly underpowered server, re-indexing is pretty much nothing. Got a site where search matters a ton, re-indexing is common due to changes in certain redacted things, so I keep tabs on times to do such. 150,000 forum posts? Maybe 5 minutes. Maybe.

Can't imagine what could go wrong with ES - if you have it installed correctly it just works?

Just removing certain filters from the quicksearch drop down? Just that? That is probably no big deal.

• 7 months later...

7.0.0 Submitted! Available when approved...

NEW! Last Searches made by community members added alongside Quicksearch!
NEW! @HDiddy Your Quicksearch filter filter has arrived!
CHANGE! The remove content item icon from search results has been expanded into an emphasized search results view option.
4.7.0 compatibility sweep. All good. 6.0.0 users are fine as well.

Could contain: Text, Menu, Page, File

Could contain: Text, Menu, Page

This is an option in settings. Toggle it on and the last searches made by your community members will appear here. Unlike Social Search, I do not believe I am running these through the bad word filter - these are a straight pull from what IPS is saving as searches now. Yell if that is a problem. Otherwise, as long as you have searches this will populate nicely. Looks good when QS is not expanded, the results will pile in when it is expanded. There is a hard-coded three-minute cache on these terms. So after three minutes since the last build, the next Quicksearch user (or more likely page load) will rebuild the cache and so on - so your DB load is pretty much nil on this.

Could contain: Word, Text, File, Page, Webpage

This has been sitting in this plugin since December/January I think; sorry bout that. Anyways, as stated above, when you have a ton of pages content every bit gets jammed into Quicksearch. You can toggle some of them off here and just present a lean QS experience instead of overwhelming users with options. This affects the QS EXCLUSIVELY! Users using advanced search will still get all the options they can handle.

As for the emphasized search results option, this:

Could contain: Word, Text, Page

Becomes this:

No more superfluous icons and photos, slightly enlarged search result text, margins and padding adjusted to fit.

Everything is working as before in 4.7.0 - oh, though I did make an adjustment to the search marking terms cookie auto-destruct time.  When you click through on a search result with Searchlight enabled, your search term comes through on a cookie that is made on the spot, then read once your content page finished loading, and then is wiped out just as fast. I had it set to autodestruct after 8 seconds just as a safety catch but ya know, if you have a content item loading in that is - oh - say - maybe 1/3 of a book text? A really thick book? It takes time for a DB to grab that blob, and then it takes time for your browser to dump all that text into the window. Unlike when IPS was doing this with search and stream results (remember the whole point of this mod initially?), we do want all the text of the content item to load in. But time. Yeah. 8 seconds was not enough so Searchlight would not run if the page took longer than that to load, which it did on one of the sites under my purview. That number is now 16 seconds - maybe more. So, on the off-chance you have massive content items that Searchlight was not firing on to mark out terms, it probably does now 🙂

BTW I'm way behind checking out my apps and plugins for 4.7 but I really do imagine everything is perfectly fine for upgrading if you don't want to wait.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 11:27 PM, All Astronauts said:

7.0.0 Submitted! Available when approved...

NEW! Last Searches made by community members added alongside Quicksearch!
NEW! @HDiddy Your Quicksearch filter filter has arrived!
CHANGE! The remove content item icon from search results has been expanded into an emphasized search results view option.
4.7.0 compatibility sweep. All good. 6.0.0 users are fine as well.

Could contain: Text, Menu, Page, File

Could contain: Text, Menu, Page

This is an option in settings. Toggle it on and the last searches made by your community members will appear here. Unlike Social Search, I do not believe I am running these through the bad word filter - these are a straight pull from what IPS is saving as searches now. Yell if that is a problem. Otherwise, as long as you have searches this will populate nicely. Looks good when QS is not expanded, the results will pile in when it is expanded. There is a hard-coded three-minute cache on these terms. So after three minutes since the last build, the next Quicksearch user (or more likely page load) will rebuild the cache and so on - so your DB load is pretty much nil on this.

Could contain: Word, Text, File, Page, Webpage

This has been sitting in this plugin since December/January I think; sorry bout that. Anyways, as stated above, when you have a ton of pages content every bit gets jammed into Quicksearch. You can toggle some of them off here and just present a lean QS experience instead of overwhelming users with options. This affects the QS EXCLUSIVELY! Users using advanced search will still get all the options they can handle.

As for the emphasized search results option, this:

Becomes this:

No more superfluous icons and photos, slightly enlarged search result text, margins and padding adjusted to fit.

Everything is working as before in 4.7.0 - oh, though I did make an adjustment to the search marking terms cookie auto-destruct time.  When you click through on a search result with Searchlight enabled, your search term comes through on a cookie that is made on the spot, then read once your content page finished loading, and then is wiped out just as fast. I had it set to autodestruct after 8 seconds just as a safety catch but ya know, if you have a content item loading in that is - oh - say - maybe 1/3 of a book text? A really thick book? It takes time for a DB to grab that blob, and then it takes time for your browser to dump all that text into the window. Unlike when IPS was doing this with search and stream results (remember the whole point of this mod initially?), we do want all the text of the content item to load in. But time. Yeah. 8 seconds was not enough so Searchlight would not run if the page took longer than that to load, which it did on one of the sites under my purview. That number is now 16 seconds - maybe more. So, on the off-chance you have massive content items that Searchlight was not firing on to mark out terms, it probably does now 🙂

BTW I'm way behind checking out my apps and plugins for 4.7 but I really do imagine everything is perfectly fine for upgrading if you don't want to wait.

The search filters update is perfect and works great with (BIM) Quick Search. Thanks!!!!!

@HDiddy 4.7.1 has changed up the underlying code for generating those Quick Search (QS) options so do not upgrade yet if that is important to you. 

Otherwise...

SSSR 7.1.0 to be submitted probably this evening some time:

• For Invision Community 4.7.1.x + due to underlying 4.7.1 changes
  • FIX! Quoted search terms that had a comma within that quoted text were breaking Search Light, only marking the first portion of text up to the comma. This is fixed now.
  • REMODELED! With the new 4.7.1 Quick Search I had to revamp both the latest searches appendage AND the search filter filter stuff. All good again.
  • NEW! That new 4.7.1 Quick Search FORCES the default option to whatever content item you are viewing. SSSR now provides an option to force it to Everything all the time.

The utility of the latest searches next on the QS dropdown is a bit lessened with the whole minimal thing going on. For now I've patched it up to still work along side it but I may just make an optional micro button thing along side the QS to just pop up popular searches, latest searches, etc... some time down the line. This is also now limited to displaying the latest ten searches.

Caught a bug with the Search Light marking - if you made a quoted search, and the quote itself had a comma somewhere in the text, the mark was breaking at that point and not marking anything after that. All patched up.

And, with the latest QS changes, it is now forcing the QS area search to whatever app you are in instead of everything. I've got an option already set, tested, and working, that will force QS to ALWAYS default to Everything for the search. If you are in a content item the contextual search area options (this topic, this forum, etc.) are still there in the dropdown to choose, but Everything is still set as the selected option.

Edited by All Astronauts
21 hours ago, All Astronauts said:

@HDiddy 4.7.1 has changed up the underlying code for generating those Quick Search (QS) options so do not upgrade yet if that is important to you. 

Otherwise...

SSSR 7.1.0 to be submitted probably this evening some time:

• For Invision Community 4.7.1.x + due to underlying 4.7.1 changes
  • FIX! Quoted search terms that had a comma within that quoted text were breaking Search Light, only marking the first portion of text up to the comma. This is fixed now.
  • REMODELED! With the new 4.7.1 Quick Search I had to revamp both the latest searches appendage AND the search filter filter stuff. All good again.
  • NEW! That new 4.7.1 Quick Search FORCES the default option to whatever content item you are viewing. SSSR now provides an option to force it to Everything all the time.

The utility of the latest searches next on the QS dropdown is a bit lessened with the whole minimal thing going on. For now I've patched it up to still work along side it but I may just make an optional micro button thing along side the QS to just pop up popular searches, latest searches, etc... some time down the line. This is also now limited to displaying the latest ten searches.

Caught a bug with the Search Light marking - if you made a quoted search, and the quote itself had a comma somewhere in the text, the mark was breaking at that point and not marking anything after that. All patched up.

And, with the latest QS changes, it is now forcing the QS area search to whatever app you are in instead of everything. I've got an option already set, tested, and working, that will force QS to ALWAYS default to Everything for the search. If you are in a content item the contextual search area options (this topic, this forum, etc.) are still there in the dropdown to choose, but Everything is still set as the selected option.

LOL,

One of the other admins pushed the updated before I had a chance to stop them.  Hahahaha its all good but I see what you ae saying.

Probably another day or two before approval so hang tight.

Also for those watching I'll probably let people set the quicksearch default to whatever they want in the next version after this  - I just made the option for forcing Everything without thinking anyone would want to hard-set it to anything else.

With the IPS current policy of pushing big changes asap you can probably expect said changes breaking more 3rd-party stuff with any point release going forward. You'll have to pay attention to the app/plugin description for any point release warnings since we can only flag out major versions and not the last point.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi, this plugin has stopped working on my site; a user alerted me today. I have tried to uninstall it and install it again, tried different settings, and checked that the invoice to renew was paid and still no go. I'm on the cloud running Invision Community Version 4.7.11 all patches applied. I can not see any error in the logs. I would appreciate some help on this, as it is a valuable addition to our site. Regards Alex

I use an Activity Stream as my site(s) main landing page and as such the speed improvement this offers was of interest.  I read through the notes and history of IPS relative to this application, but wanted to verify this is still an impactful (i.e. speed gain) for Activity Streams on 4.7.11+?

Edited by Clover13
35 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

I use an Activity Stream as my site(s) main landing page and as such the speed improvement this offers was of interest.  I read through the notes and history of IPS relative to this application, but wanted to verify this is still an impactful (i.e. speed gain) for Activity Streams on 4.7.11+?

I put the truncating in long ago, then IPS did their own so I took mine out, then they took theirs out so I put mine back in. Worth a look at least to see if there has not been any silent changes there. Give me a bit.

Okee-dokie. So, for this to work, I had to add another hook so I could merge the two cookies I have into the essential cookies array. FYI these two cookies exists for, honestly, just a few seconds. When you are on a search results page and click a result to go to, its sets one cookie saying "Hey! Time flag some query terms" and the other cookie is those query terms. Once the content page you clicked to loads, the cookies are read, and then immediately removed. Can't get much more benign than that!

And the search light search terms highlighting is working on the latest - except when you have a single hit - if you have more than one hit, the term navigator appears on the side, but not with just one term - so I need to look at that (probably just a poor eval on my part now).

These two cookies will appear in the cookies list as well:

Could contain: Page, Text

So, I gotta patch the whatevers first, and then this gets submitted. No idea when the update appears. I imagine there will be a flood of app/plugin updates with the cookie changes.

Oh - I'll check the truncate stuff now - hang on...

EDIT: Yep - truncate works great and everything is perky.

Edited by All Astronauts