Controlling email bounce rate??

SJ77

You should maintain a bounce rate below 5%. Higher bounce rates can impact the delivery of your emails. If your bounce rate is 5% or greater, we automatically place your account under review. If your bounce rate is 10% or greater, we might pause your account' ability to send additional email until you resolve the issue that caused the high bounce rate.

I am about to hit 12%

I have no idea how to control this. Taking any input.

There is nothing built in that handles this, no. You would need to set the return email address to an inbox you can monitor, and then manually go through any bounce notifications and update the members on your community afterwards (i.e. log in as the user and remove all email notifications).

You can also create notifications in SES to find out which addresses are bouncing. You may find it's very few but that they're having a lot of emails sent to them. You can get them either by email:
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/notifications-via-email.html

Or by their notification service:
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/notifications-via-sns.html

• 2 weeks later...

@SJ77: I'm in the exact same boat as you and I think you already found my thread regarding this topic. I used an inexpensive service where you upload a CSV of your email addresses and it will go through and figure out which ones are valid, no longer valid, etc.  It returns another CSV with each email marked.  You can use this to somehow clean up your db.  I'm working on figuring out what I want to do with the results. Maybe ban all members with an invalid email? Disable the account?

Here's the service. It looks like a janky website, but it did a great job and came recommended from a trusted colleague. 35k emails parsed for about $6 in less than 20 mins. 

On 8/18/2019 at 12:27 AM, Sonya* said:

Probably you can use this application 

What I am confused about is I have thousands of emails bouncing. Do I have to go through 1 by 1 and mark them as outdated?

Never mind, I see a bulk email box (1 per line) now I just need to figure how to get a list of bouncing emails from SES

I made a quick and dirty VBA script to build a list of emails from the inbox that Amazon SES will send error notifications to.

First collect all the email files into a folder on your computer. Then open excel and run this VBA script.

Sub SearchTextFile()
    Dim StrFile As String
    StrFile = Dir("C:\yourpathtoemailfiles\")
        Sheet1.Cells.ClearContents
      cnt = 1
    Do While Len(StrFile) > 0
        'Debug.Print StrFile
    strFileName = "C:\yourpathtoemailfiles\" & StrFile
    Const strSearch = "An error occurred while trying to deliver the mail to the following recipients:"
    Dim strLine As String

Dim f As Integer
    Dim lngLine As Long
    Dim blnFound As Boolean
    f = FreeFile

Open strFileName For Input As #f
    Do While Not EOF(f)
        lngLine = lngLine + 1
        Line Input #f, strLine

If InStr(1, strLine, strSearch, vbBinaryCompare) > 0 Then
            'MsgBox "Search string found in line " & lngLine, vbInformation
            pos = InStr(1, strLine, strSearch, vbBinaryCompare) + 80