Slow Unread Content stream (even if it is empty)

DamonT

Hi,
my site works on newest version of forum (but this problem was visible earlier too). Loading of Unread Content stream is slow - especially on my admin account (it is much faster on test user account). The page with stream is slow regardless of how much content there is.

This is the screen from openning page with Unread Content strem in case that there is no unread content:

slow.thumb.png.d70f072c0faca821023acfe50247c1a5.png

And there the same stream if I click "Mark site read" ealier:

fast.thumb.png.313b826ca7286a2900834e7a8b2382f8.png

It works much faster, but after several visits there is same problem with slow loading. I don't understant why there is such different - there was no unread content in both cases... The page speed is low if there is some unread content too.

I am using PHP 7.3 and Redis for datastore, cache, sessions and topic views. The forum is not big - there is no more than 100 new post per day.

Any idea what should I check?

I've had an issue for over two years where it is slow where there is a page of unread topics at most. (so not long after marking as read). But soon as the topics increase and Load more activity works, meaning there are 2 pages, the first page becomes fast, but then the second page is slow (when clicking load more). etc. And so on, so when there are 3 lots of pages, 1 and 2 are fast, 3rd becomes slow. Basically have you found it loads fast when there is an extra page of unread topics / Does it just load slow on the first lot of unread topics?

Desperate for a solution but given up hope, I found elasticsearch fixes it but creates other problems. 

21 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Do you have any plugins that hook into / add items to the Activity Stream? Are you loading items from any third party apps? 

No, I don't have anything like this. Is there any way to debug this issue? What can I check?

19 hours ago, DamonT said:

No, I don't have anything like this. Is there any way to debug this issue? What can I check?

Ask your host to (temporarily) enable MySQL slow query logging, then after they've confirmed it is enabled visit your unread content stream to trigger the issue (and capture the query that is being ran), and then you can ask your host to shut off slow query logging. With the logged query/queries, submit a ticket.

Fun fact... I made my own stream with identical setting as default Unread Stream and it works fast. Only default Unread Stream is slow. Tested on the same account. Do you have any idea why new one is faster?

Default vs my new stream which is fast:

81d14-2019-08-06_08-39-13-6926.thumb.png.1c81609f15cb6ceab0d01e12fe3551d2.png

7 hours ago, DamonT said:

Do you have any idea why new one is faster?

Not without looking at your site through a ticket.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:16 AM, DamonT said:

Do you think that we should see something with 1 second setting?

Maybe 5 seconds? How long does the query take to run? I'm not sure we're going to be able to look into too many queries taking 1 second to run. "Slow" is of course subjective.

Archived