Default language

Marafa

I want my forum to be mainly RTL , and i am using a different default language than english

The system detects the windows language and set it as default

this is no valid for large number of users , we need to be able to control the default language

Thanks , will try it

I really do not know what this is not available as a core feature

The assumption that the suitable user interface language  is always the windows language is not valid for a considerable number of users  in  several non English speaking countries

Have you already tried to put your language on top?

I'm not sure if this works with other languages but we have Dutch and English language. And English was the default, also for guest.

This was not as intended, so I installed the Dutch language and set it to "set as members language. However, for guest the default was still English which was not my intention.

So I changed the order of the languages and put Dutch as first language in the AdminCP (system->languages). Since then, the Dutch is also the default language for guests/visitors.

Since I was also told that Invision would check the OS language used and use that automatically I can't guarantee that this will work for you too. But at least it work on our forums. 🙂

You can always give it a try if you already didn't yet.

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2019 at 2:05 AM, Black Tiger said:

Have you already tried to put your language on top?

I'm not sure if this works with other languages but we have Dutch and English language. And English was the default, also for guest.

I think this just happened to be working for your case!

From the IPS Docs..

The IPS Community Suite attempts to determine the correct language for a user based on information their browser provides. If this can be determined, and you have an appropriate language pack installed, then providing the user hasn't specifically chosen another language, that language will be shown to them regardless of your community default.

There are many cases where the translations of an operating system (eg. Windows) is not really good so many users prefer the English language as default for the OS.

In my case, my website is about people who live abroad.. so many of my members use computers in other language.. also the location will not be the same so in most case IPS will fall back to English.

In general I see no point of having the option "Set as Members' language" in languages if it will be ignored anyway..

5 minutes ago, Trahis said:

I think this just happened to be working for your case!

And another case of a forum I'm admin of.

I know about the docs. It's the same I stated in my last line, that IPS would detect automatically. We're lucky on both forums mostly Dutch languaged persons use the forums.

According to the IPS Docs the suite should have choosen Dutch because for me and almost all my  users the language, including OS and browser is Dutch. But still it gave English. So it's not 100% working like the docs say it should work. However, that was may last year. We're a couple of versions further now so maybe that part is better, I won't test again. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Trahis said:

In general I see no point of having the option "Set as Members' language" in languages if it will be ignored anyway..

We can agree on that. But it might be that mod will disable the automatic detection. I don't know. I never used the mod/plugin.

• 1 year later...