Notifications are Ignorant

AmericanRev2

We actually recently added a review of notification functionality to our internal list, and this is one of the pain points that came up. We'll hopefully be able to address it in the not too distant future.

My only problem with notifications, is that they aren't automatically popping up in a lite box overlay window when they are received and I'm online to get one. Also, it is a lot of work to have to go through several screens just to turn notifications on for most account features, as IPS likes to leave them off by default.

I get that it's a preference, but it should be a preference to not get them, as opposed to never knowing they are there to look at. Having to manually click follow reply to topic for example, won't even guarantee I get an email to look at it when I have a new reply waiting. So notifications aren't set by default to be used real well.

Members need the ability to customize when they receive notifications for each individual item in their account.

11 hours ago, Joshua O'Brien said:

Also, it is a lot of work to have to go through several screens just to turn notifications on for most account features, as IPS likes to leave them off by default.

Each site can set their own defaults here, so it'd depend on the site you're using. 

11 hours ago, Joshua O'Brien said:

Members need the ability to customize when they receive notifications for each individual item in their account.

This is already the case (in fact, we're looking at simplifying the process a little bit because there's too much customization, which is confusing).

8 hours ago, Rikki said:

This is already the case (in fact, we're looking at simplifying the process a little bit because there's too much customization, which is confusing).

I like options for customization. I like it the way it is.

• 7 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 1:28 PM, Rikki said:

We actually recently added a review of notification functionality to our internal list, and this is one of the pain points that came up. We'll hopefully be able to address it in the not too distant future.

Looking forward to Smart Notifications in 4.5 (that know you already seen the content)

Archived