[Incomplete Implementation] REST API: Calendar endpoints

Shehi

Hey,

Although Support likes to call this a "new feature", what I described below isn't a new feature, but rather showcase of incomplete one.

Calendar Event creation/edit endpoints are very lacking in following areas:

1. In WebGUI there is a possibility of selecting "All Day event" toggle,  when you don't provide "End Date". In API, that isn't possible, thus you have to provide End Date, which isn't something we want to do in many situations. SOLUTION: We should have "all_day" parameter in API.
  2. In WebGUI there is a possibility of attaching a header banner image to events. API doesn't enable that, as a result we get stuck we ugly default image. POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Enable this in API as well. QUESTION: Is it possible to select a default banner image for albums, or for any content across Suite? Having one would also be useful.
  3. In WebGUI putting 0 (zero) as RSVP limit enables us to get rid of "Maybe" option. Zero value is mis-handled in API - it is converted to "-1" automatically. PLEASE FIX!
  4. In WebGUI it is possible to attach Gallery Album to Event. Need the same in API as well. PLEASE ADD!

Even if all this isn't feasible to add:

In WebGUI it is possible to "Add Similar Event" (cloning an event), there is no API endpoint for a similar operation. PLEASE ADD ONE if fixing all above can't be done quickly, or at all.

Thanks!

Regarding the "All Day" event - couldn't you set the Start Time and End Time to 12:00 and 12:01 (or whatever your relevant all-day hours are in your use case scenario? That's what I've done in applications I've designed. I think too you have to do it that way if you are wanting to be able to export/offer .ICS calendar files as well.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:48 PM, bfarber said:

Actually, so long as an end date is omitted, the event should be flagged as an all day event.

I tend to disagree: sometimes you don't really know how long certain event would take, so it is better to leave it open-ended. That definitely doesn't mean it will take whole day.

And overall point of this post is NOT to request a change. Point is to request API support for capabilities WebUI provides, so that things could be automated. So please don't change anything unless it is absolutely necessary. That's why, if it's possible, I'd rather welcome the option of CLONING events (creating exact copies with different start datetime).

6 hours ago, Shehi said:

I tend to disagree: sometimes you don't really know how long certain event would take, so it is better to leave it open-ended. That definitely doesn't mean it will take whole day.

And overall point of this post is NOT to request a change. Point is to request API support for capabilities WebUI provides, so that things could be automated. So please don't change anything unless it is absolutely necessary. That's why, if it's possible, I'd rather welcome the option of CLONING events (creating exact copies with different start datetime).

I was only commenting as to the current behavior, based on looking at the API code.

Archived