localStorage is null

Clodo76

In our community (recently migrated from 3.x to 4.4.2) we have a lots of reports about 

TypeError: window.localStorage is null[Learn More] root_library.js.a6b4893f65078091d71919b6cdd2567e.js:15:150

that cause after a 

TypeError: ips is undefined[Learn More] root_js_lang_1.js.4720e043db5682bf10e246e4bd60bba1.js:1:1

and totally break the possibility to use the editor.

localStorage it's disabled by privacy-aware browser extensions.

People reproduce it also in standard IPB4 demo.

I understand it's a restricted userbase for you, but i'm hosting a forum dedicated to privacy, and a lots of people have this issue and i absolutely need a workaround.

I'm investigate this issue, but maybe someone have already a suggestion. Thanks.

Edit: in Firefox the issue can be emulated with  about:config -> dom.storage.enabled -> enable:false

I could be wrong (I do see what you're saying though) in that if the 'effects' are being caused by browser plugins the scope for support to assist with this is slightly limited as its an 'external factor' (for want of a better phrase) .

However there is absolutely no harm at all in sending in a support ticket to enquire about this, something I would probably recommend in this case so a tech can take a look and inform you. :)

5 hours ago, AndyF said:

I could be wrong (I do see what you're saying though) in that if the 'effects' are being caused by browser plugins the scope for support to assist with this is slightly limited as its an 'external factor' (for want of a better phrase) .

It's not an 'external factor' for me, the option about disable localStorage is in any browser.
And cause a "ips is undefined" that break all javascript in the entire CMS, at least it's a best practice imho to avoid this kind consequences for a feature that it's used for... draft save?

Now i need to understand how to hack IPB sources. Disappointed.

1 hour ago, Clodo76 said:

Done. The reply: "this is not something in which we would assist". 

That's not actually unexpected given its a browser concern (at least as I see it, and its not my area) but the point was if in any doubt there was (as I indicated) no harm at all in asking in a ticket at least.

1 hour ago, Clodo76 said:

It's not an 'external factor' for me, the option about disable localStorage is in any browser.
And cause a "ips is undefined" that break all javascript in the entire CMS, at least it's a best practice imho to avoid this kind consequences for a feature that it's used for... draft save?

Now i need to understand how to hack IPB sources. Disappointed.

You may not be out of luck though. It would be very worthwhile in posting the question in the Peer-to-Peer area of the forum to see if others have ideas or thoughts to assist with this. I do think (again, not my area) this is not a common concern generally though.

Archived