Deleting Members, their posts and GDPR

MSUKForum

So I had my first member want to delete their account under "GDPR". I've never deleted an account before, I just don't like the idea of removing content but anyway...

1. If I delete their account in admin, does it keep their posts?
  2. Am I allowed to keep their posts?
  3. What about IP information?

I just think it would ruin the forum if I'm deleting members and all their posts, some of which have tens of thousands.

2 minutes ago, jpointer2_merged said:

So I had my first member want to delete their account under "GDPR". I've never deleted an account before, I just don't like the idea of removing content but anyway...

1. If I delete their account in admin, does it keep their posts?
  2. Am I allowed to keep their posts?
  3. What about IP information?

I just think it would ruin the forum if I'm deleting members and all their posts, some of which have tens of thousands.

You can delete their account and keep the posts, as this is not part of their personal information. When you delete a member via the ACP you will be given a choice to keep their posts and display them as a guest.

By the way: it really helps to clarify what you will and will not delete in your rules/terms/privacy policy and even better: have people accept these rules. Otherwise it will cause drama sooner or later. (Well, it will cause drama anyway, but I least you can say “we told you upfront and you accepted it”.)

As above, was just typing the same out. It's included in our terms, guidelines and privacy policy. Explain why and what you will delete and cooperate with GDPR, but any posts which do not identify the person will stay. Once you've updated all these, make sure you enable all your members to accept the changes. Cover yourself on all basis.

55 minutes ago, jpointer2_merged said:

Thanks guys, is there any good forum based ToS/Policies out there which I can use, like a template?

Welcome to use this and alter it (I am not a lawyer or anything like that) - It's just a snippet of ours.

Deletion of Posts and Inactive User Accounts:
Our policy states that it will not delete posts en masse nor will it delete inactive user accounts. By accessing this community forum, users are opting to submit material or content on to a publicly accessible website.

Controlling your personal information:
When using our website, you may choose to limit public viewing of applicable personal information through the settings located in your personal account.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so.

You may request a copy of any information that we hold on you that could potential identify you as an individual. You may also request that we delete all information that we hold on you should you wish to close your account and no longer be a member of our website. This includes:

• Your name/username
  • Email address
  • Known IP addresses
  • Known devices
  • Opt in details and customer data

Anyone is welcome to use this, but just click the 'like button' if it was useful to you. Always nice to see a 'Thank You'. 😜

Archived