Hiding A Member Group from General Community

Misty Sharpe

I'm wondering if there is a way to hide or make a certain member group invisible from the general community. Our non-profit works with patients and family members and also medical professional members. We have set up a private group for our medical professional members. I realize that the private setting makes it so the group is essentially hidden from the community unless a member is invited to join it however we may wish to change the setting to a closed group in the future to decrease workload on staff and allow members to request to join the group. The caveat to this is the group and members list would be visible to the entire community. I want to maintain the personal message functionality for medical professional members to contact each other but would like to also protect their privacy by not having them show up in searches and preventing them from being contacted by patients or family members through the forum. Is there a way to do this in the current platform?

2 hours ago, Black Tiger said:

Thank you, but that only hides the gruop name.

What I mean is a totally invisible usergroup, so a usergroup which members are not visible on the forums or the userlist.

As for visible on the forums, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  To hide them from the userlist, you can uncheck the option to make them searchable and allow invisible logins on their usergroup settings.

12 hours ago, Black Tiger said:

What I mean is a totally invisible usergroup, so a usergroup which members are not visible on the forums or the userlist.

In what areas is the group name still visible? That plugin should completely remove the group name, and there should be no way at all to figure out which group the member is in.

And no, it is not just "hidden" using CSS or javascript, it's removed.

I''m sorry. You're correct. But if they post somewhere, it would show they have no group name, which would create questions with others.

So my solution is to just put them in members, let hem evt. hide themselfs if they want, but give them another, secondary usergroup. Which is hopefully not visible to other users.

Anyway I hope Misty Sharp also found a solution between the answers.

Archived