Change the word "Clubs" in all menus?

Aramaech

Are there problems one should be on the lookout for related to renaming all of the instances of "clubs" & "club" to something else like "Awards"? 

This is something I've been thinking about doing but am concerned about the long term ramifications of doing so.

Is there the slightest possibility that changing the name might impact third-party apps or themes or future IPS releases and default skins? 

@Joel R for every rule of thumb there are usually several exceptions that people haven't considered.

I used the example that @RobotMonkeyHæd provided above and went ahead and modified one of the club keys for illustration purposes:

translation.thumb.jpg.a038b2e9d8cbb3b79e3f11666d340a11.jpg 

If IPS decided to swap out the yellow highlighted text with: "They will not be able to join the club again unless invited by a Leader or Moderator" because they made a change in the program logic, the text in green would be outdated and provide inaccurate information needing updating by board admin.  If "only we knew" the necessity to do it.  We probably won't as the release notes mentioned nothing about updating clubs.  (Just being real here 😀 )

Clubs are likely to receive updating at some point in time.  Let's say IPS decided to display club creation date and created a new key to keep track of it.

translation2.thumb.jpg.25f1423ff7aade6a45714a9e080b9f5d.jpg

The club program would display "Date Club was created 01/01/2019" which would look out of place as all of the rest of the club had been changed to "Awards".   One wouldn't necessarily know that this new key should be updated either.

So it appears that changing club or clubs to another name requires followup after each new update to see if anything has been changed or added to ensure all relevant keys reflect the proper text.

It might be helpful if IPS provided a list of changes for each new build of any adds or changes to language strings so that people can better determine if there will be any necessity to make appropriate edits.

Its nice to know ahead of time the various gotchas one might encounter changing the default IPS suite behavior to determine if it is worth it in the end run.  With that in mind, If anyone else can think of any other exceptions to the rule please chime in.

8 hours ago, Christopher Anderson said:

@Joel R for every rule of thumb there are usually several exceptions that people haven't considered.

I used the example that @RobotMonkeyHæd provided above and went ahead and modified one of the club keys for illustration purposes:

translation.thumb.jpg.a038b2e9d8cbb3b79e3f11666d340a11.jpg 

If IPS decided to swap out the yellow highlighted text with: "They will not be able to join the club again unless invited by a Leader or Moderator" because they made a change in the program logic, the text in green would be outdated and provide inaccurate information needing updating by board admin.  If "only we knew" the necessity to do it.  We probably won't as the release notes mentioned nothing about updating clubs.  (Just being real here 😀 )

Clubs are likely to receive updating at some point in time.  Let's say IPS decided to display club creation date and created a new key to keep track of it.

translation2.thumb.jpg.25f1423ff7aade6a45714a9e080b9f5d.jpg

The club program would display "Date Club was created 01/01/2019" which would look out of place as all of the rest of the club had been changed to "Awards".   One wouldn't necessarily know that this new key should be updated either.

So it appears that changing club or clubs to another name requires followup after each new update to see if anything has been changed or added to ensure all relevant keys reflect the proper text.

It might be helpful if IPS provided a list of changes for each new build of any adds or changes to language strings so that people can better determine if there will be any necessity to make appropriate edits.

Its nice to know ahead of time the various gotchas one might encounter changing the default IPS suite behavior to determine if it is worth it in the end run.  With that in mind, If anyone else can think of any other exceptions to the rule please chime in.

I mean .... Just search for new langstring clubs after you've updated.  

It takes 30 seconds.  

I get what you're saying.  But langstrings are one of the most minor and trivial items to update.  

There are plenty of other things to get paralyzed over in an update ... Incompatibility with third party mods, incompatibility with themes, breaks to templates, breaks to SSO integrations (sorry WordPress users!), Breaks to community enhancements, break to server requirements (did you know that php 7.1 is the new requirement for 4.4??) Etc etc. Langstrings is not one of them.  

1 hour ago, Joel R said:

I mean .... Just search for new langstring clubs after you've updated.  

It takes 30 seconds.

How do you search for a new language string? You mean search for one which contains 'clubs' and hasn't been translated?

If so, that's easy but it's not what he was talking about, which was changes being made to an existing one. It certainly does happen and I've noticed on my own sites that it often is very different to what was there before, leaving the translation referring to some functionality which no longer exists or whatever. It would be very helpful to find out which strings have been edited within versions rather than chance upon it years later, when you're translating something else and notice that the next translation in the list doesn't refer to the same thing written in the English column anymore.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:15 AM, Meddysong said:

Yes, there is a risk that IPS might change a language string. I've been caught out by that before.

And now too, although fortunately very visibly!

I've just seen how something in a Pages database I'm building looks on mobile:

Screenshot_20190129-132338.thumb.png.3a5f10cbac80ff9b99931dbcb9fb3518.png

And it's because at some point a language string was changed:

Untitled-1.jpg.6bb6f16ca4d593f1aecf7dcc5eedfa10.jpg

This is hardly the end of the world but it is an example of strings changing and an owner not being aware. In a different situation, this could be a little more problematic. It would be helpful if there were some way of being able to see which default strings had been changed between versions, please.

Archived