Deleting Forums / Logs

Bill Edwards

Dear All

I hope you all had a good Christmas.

We have a number of forums which we use for a short period of time before they are deleted. I wasn't sure who was deleting them so I checked the Admin logs. NOTHING appears in the Admin logs, yet clearly they are being deleted as they are no longer there.

I'm missing something (probably obvious), but I can't work it out. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Bill 

1 hour ago, Bill Edwards said:

Dear All

I hope you all had a good Christmas.

We have a number of forums which we use for a short period of time before they are deleted. I wasn't sure who was deleting them so I checked the Admin logs. NOTHING appears in the Admin logs, yet clearly they are being deleted as they are no longer there.

I'm missing something (probably obvious), but I can't work it out. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Bill 

That is strange. It should be logged. See the attached screenshot.

logs.png.537089d4f7129a22bfac12b5c1a35dc1.png

30 minutes ago, Faqole said:

If they have access to the database they can delete a particular action from the logs...

I've asked the Admin I think would have done it. I looked at the logs, but couldn't see a way to delete an entry. How is that done? And can I as site owner prevent Admin's from deleting log entries?

Thanks for your help!

25 minutes ago, Bill Edwards said:

I've asked the Admin I think would have done it. I looked at the logs, but couldn't see a way to delete an entry. How is that done? And can I as site owner prevent Admin's from deleting log entries?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry, I've just re-read your post - No one has access to the database. I'm assuming it can't be done through the ACP, so that really is a mystery!

22 minutes ago, Bill Edwards said:

Sorry, I've just re-read your post - No one has access to the database. I'm assuming it can't be done through the ACP, so that really is a mystery!

It can be done from the acp too. At the SQL Toolbox area to be precise, assuming that they have permission to access it. 

I've spoken to the Admin I thought it was and he IS deleting the forums. Nothing appears in the logs though. I doubt he would be able to delete his log entries through the SQL toolbox. Just in case, how do I prevent him from accessing it?

Can you think of any other way that he could be deleting forums and avoiding logging?

1 hour ago, Bill Edwards said:

I've spoken to the Admin I thought it was and he IS deleting the forums. Nothing appears in the logs though. I doubt he would be able to delete his log entries through the SQL toolbox. Just in case, how do I prevent him from accessing it?

Can you think of any other way that he could be deleting forums and avoiding logging?

I think you can do that through permissions. 

I can not think of any other way as to how he has avoided logging. Did he have a valid reason to delete the forum btw?

Members > Staff > Administrators > Group Administrators name 

then it will be 

System > Staff > Administrators 

You can check these settings if they are enabled

• Can adjust prune settings for administrator logs
  • Can adjust prune settings for Admin CP login logs

You can also can check the Prune Settings (top right button)

Members > Staff > Administrators > Administrators Logs > Prune Settings (top right) 

If you have nothing in your Administrators Logs, then Prune Setting must be running. 

A simple way for you to make surr someone is deleting logs is simply check the IDs in a query:

select * from core_admin_logs order by id desc

If the sequence is broken (ID missing) then someone is deleting them via SQL Toolbox, since you said no one else has access to the MySQL database directly. In this case, go to ACP -> Members -> Administrators -> edit the group or users and remove the SQL Toolbox permission from them:

AD587F90-B0A3-49C0-8C46-1E92502493AD.thumb.jpeg.6382c4ab71d6de37d80d04700d14c443.jpeg

Archived