"Follow" club on Join

h2ojunkie

Recently (about 2 months ago) finally upgraded to the 4.3 series (from 4.1). One of the most anticipated features for our site was clubs.  Now that it's been live for 2 months and have been receiving feedback from members. I thought I'd share what I feel (from member feedback) is a major missing feature.

1) IPS markets clubs as a "micro-site" within your community.
2) Clubs are the forum answer to facebook groups

Engagement is everything.  We're fighting against massive social platforms, all screaming for users attention. Does it suck? sure...but that's the reality of a mobile web. You have a tiny screen that gives limited space to put info in front of users, and we live in a "push" generation. i.e. users consume the info put in front of them, they don't go seeking out that info.  So if we're not putting the info in front of them, we're losing those eyeballs to other social engagements. 

With that being said...why when someone joins a club, are they not added to "follow" that club?  When a member registers on a website, they expect to receive notifications for the website they just registered on.  When someone joins a Facebook group, they are joining because they want to be notified of what that "group" is doing (events, discussions, etc.).    If a member makes the conscious decision to "join" a club...isn't that clear indication that member wants to know what is going on in that club?

For example - our clubs are very much location driven in our segment. When someone is joining a "local" club - that member wants, in-fact they expect that being a member means they will be notified about the activities of that club.  But right now, a member must first "join"...once their join request is approved, they have to know to come back and "follow" that club in a total separate action.   

At the very least, this should be a setting similar to the "auto-follow topic on reply" setting. Where the board admin can set a default option, and members can change that setting in their notification settings.  Another option would be to simply ask the member at the time they Join if they'd like to "follow" the club (but honestly, IMO..the simple fact that they are making a conscious decision to "join" the club in the first place is 99% confidence that member is telling you right then they want to know what is going on in that club.

Looking through the list of members that have joined clubs, almost none of them have realized they have to follow the club.  I've had numerous complaints in just 2 months from members not receiving notifications for a club they joined, the member never realizing that they had to "follow" the club in an entirely separate action.  I can already see club owners on my site losing interest with clubs they've created because they are not getting engagement back from the members that joined.  And the primary reason they aren't getting any engagement from club members, is the system doesn't notify those members of what is going on in the clubs they are a member of. 

Is it really reasonable to manually contact every member that joins any club and let them know they have to also "follow" the club they just joined or else they miss out on what is happening in the club?

24 minutes ago, h2ojunkie said:

With that being said...why when someone joins a club, are they not added to "follow" that club?  When a member registers on a website, they expect to receive notifications for the website they just registered on.  When someone joins a Facebook group, they are joining because they want to be notified of what that "group" is doing (events, discussions, etc.).    If a member makes the conscious decision to "join" a club...isn't that clear indication that member wants to know what is going on in that club?

I agree, they should auto-follow.  

Archived