Sidebar ad on top on mobile

jair101

I do have some interest from advertisement agency, in particular for the top of the sidebar position, for a banner of 300x250 size. Issue is that when the sidebar is collapsed on mobile, it automatically goes below the content area, which is not that attractive for advertisers and I guess they will ask for a discount based on this fact. 

Is there any way to collapse the sidebar, but keep the ad on top?

I was thinking to create another ad with the same size and place it in the main area, thus ensuring that it will always be on top. So the idea is that on desktop only the sidebar ad will be visible, while on mobile only the top ad will be visible. Can this be done with some trickery?

7 minutes ago, jair101 said:

I was thinking to create another ad with the same size and place it in the main area, thus ensuring that it will always be on top. So the idea is that on desktop only the sidebar ad will be visible, while on mobile only the top ad will be visible. Can this be done with some trickery?

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/themes-and-customizations/css-framework/responsiveness-r250/

13 minutes ago, Adlago said:

If you are using the left sidebar - on a mobile page starts with it.

Nope, Right sidebar. 

10 minutes ago, DawPi said:

So it is as simple as wrapping the ad code in <div class='ipsResponsive_hidePhone ipsResponsive_hideTablet'> and <div class='ipsResponsive_hideDesktop'> respectively? Thanks, I'll try. 

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, jair101 said:

By inspecting the element in the browser and finding the ad code there.

And what did you actually find there? Be specific what you found and why that should cause the behavior of loading and hiding. 

My current understanding of these CSS classes is that they simply create a CSS declaration of something like display:none. If that is part of the initial page load, that is NOT a problem with ads, since nothing is rendered in the first place. Display:none does not equal loading and hiding – it equals not rendered at all. Google clearly allows this kind of CSS for responsive ads. It only could be a problem if that CSS declaration is created after the page rendering has started, e.g. through JavaScript. 

1. I created an ad with the following code, visible only to admins, above footer:

<div class='ipsResponsive_hideDesktop'>
My test ad code
</div>

2. I loaded my website and inspected the footer, full code of the ad is there, the text itself is not visible:

image.png.4bd51e05d1ca6ffd378ddd9341373dcd.png

3. I checked in the ACP, it registered one impression for the ad, I am the only admin so it is definitely caused by me:

image.thumb.png.d7fdbb0ac31c1d252da2e6e5dbddfd65.png

Admittedly I dont have the expert knowledge that is probably required, but to me it looks like the ad code is rendered. 

Archived