Post not saving until refresh.

heydoon

Hi for some reason when I create a reply it won't save until I refresh.

I will click Submit Reply and it will change to Saving... but will not change from that.

I've checked the network tab and the request is just pending, I have waited for up to 5 minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on? Or can point me in the right direction to debug this?

Update: the requests just take very long to go through but eventually do and the post gets added without a refresh.

Grrrr.

https://bwgforums.com/forums/

• 1 year later...

@heydoon, did you ever find a solution for this?  I am seeing this now on my new 4.4.4 forum, although the behavior is slightly different.  Sometimes when I submit a post, the post actually is submitted (and I can see it right away), but the editor is not cleared and the "Submit Reply" button is stuck in the "Saving" state.  This requires me to refresh the page if I want to reply again..

saving.thumb.png.7cf2f889bb47e9bf05f0171e36f63ec4.png

8 minutes ago, Joel R said:

There's a clear post button for the editor.  

I don't see one in the default editor toolbar.  Even if I erase what I previously typed, I still can't submit another post because the "Saving..." button is disabled, as shown in the image below:

1400104384_ScreenShot2019-06-17at8_04_09AM.thumb.png.45f243eb7f51ae7a44665f9aa85e3f0e.png

I have this happen fairly regularly, and have filed a support ticket.  Above was my testing with the stock Invision skin to make sure it wasn't an issue with my site's custom theme.

..Al

2 minutes ago, Joel R said:

In the meantime, you can add the Clear Post button to your editor.  It won't appear on the default editor but can be added as a button.  It looks like an empty page.  

Assuming the Clear Post button only clears the text in the editor, that won't help, since the "Saving..." button is disabled.  You can't post again until you refresh the page.

..Al

2 hours ago, AtariAge said:

Assuming the Clear Post button only clears the text in the editor, that won't help, since the "Saving..." button is disabled.  You can't post again until you refresh the page.

..Al

Ah I see.  Please submit a ticket to IPS Support with as much information as possible to reproduce the issue.  

On 6/16/2019 at 4:33 PM, AtariAge said:

@heydoon, did you ever find a solution for this?  I am seeing this now on my new 4.4.4 forum, although the behavior is slightly different.  Sometimes when I submit a post, the post actually is submitted (and I can see it right away), but the editor is not cleared and the "Submit Reply" button is stuck in the "Saving" state.  This requires me to refresh the page if I want to reply again..

saving.thumb.png.7cf2f889bb47e9bf05f0171e36f63ec4.png

I had the same problem.  I changed PHP from 7.3 to 7.2 and the problem was solved

On 6/18/2019 at 9:09 AM, bfarber said:

Yes, we'll need a ticket. The only known cause I am aware of at present is a fairly niche workflow related to using custom emoticons (which we have a fix being tested for presently).

I just had this happen on this forum when using one of the Emojis (versus the older emoticons).

978054125_ScreenShot2019-06-19at9_12_36AM.thumb.png.78a9e483ad7e5b8b8845ba1866dcb024.png

Sorry, the issue wouldn't be specific to "custom emoticons" vs "emoji" and I apologize if that wasn't clear.

The short of it is - if you type out emoticons and hit this issue (the editor not clearing out upon submit), it's a known bug which a fix will be coming for in the next release.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:04 AM, markymids said:

This issue is driving my members crazy & is causing a lot of double posts as people don't realise that their posts are actually going through so keep hitting the submit reply button again - any ETA on when we might be able to get a fix @bfarber?

The issue reported here disables the submit button when you click it, so I cannot see how users are clicking it again and again.

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

The issue reported here disables the submit button when you click it, so I cannot see how users are clicking it again and again. 

I actually saw this happen yesterday, where the post was submitted properly, but the editor did not clear and the Submit Reply button was smiling happily at me in an enabled state.  I didn't try submitting the post a second time, though.

..Al

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

Oh this is a different issue then - what I'm finding since upgrading v4.4.4 is that the editor does not clear after a post has been made, the submit reply button does not grey out either. :sad:

On 6/19/2019 at 3:28 PM, bfarber said:

The short of it is - if you type out emoticons and hit this issue (the editor not clearing out upon submit), it's a known bug which a fix will be coming for in the next release.

Guessing this is another month away then as the newsletter today suggests there will be minor features included (good to know) that have not yet been mentioned (not so good, as it means the release and fix for this is further away)

Archived